Hellboy (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
you want mignola you go to ATLANTIS

yo

this was like

wtf

Spill the beans :roll:

This was all over the place.

It goes from horrid CG, to exposition to exposition to exposition, to them trying to make some arc for Hellboy... Harbour did his best and McShane seemed to be one of the very few who knew what kind of movie he was in. Jovovich' performance was completely empty of life and the cinematography often looked like some cheap sci-fi channel flick.

Also what the fuck,
it's already quite violent but those demons coming from hell to completely mash up random people was so violent it became hilariously ridiculous
I think the one good sequence was at the Baba Yaga's crib.

It was just so.much.of.everything. exhausting

And of course
it completely sets up a sequel like a marvel flick but I don't think we'll ever get one

That's a big oof.

Any meme-y lines? :lol:

This movie was like a bad fanboy dream come true. It literally shoved 20 years of Hellboy's comic history into a two-hour runtime, but it completely missed the point of the source material it was adapting. Hellboy comics are lean, classy, and straightforward. The story this movie is mainly adapting, The Wild Hunt trilogy, was a culmination of the 15-year history of Hellboy. That story worked in the comics because there was a great history before that story that complimented its existence. This movie was written by people who have no fucking idea on how to do adapt stories into movies. You can't just shove random shit from the comics into the movie and expect us to like it because it was in the comics. Comics onto themselves were not that. That's why we, HB fans, love 'em so much. The stories took their time to be told. This shit didn't. The only example I can give to non-comic-reading audience on what this movie did wrong is with this: Imagine if the very first Harry Potter movie was not a direct adaptation of The Philosopher's Stone, but was instead a mish-mash of the entire collection of books, and it had only a two hour runtime to tell its story. That is the equivalent of this movie.

m4st4 wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 10:16 am
Movie had 12 (twelve) producers and two of those thought they could direct the movie instead of him. Even fired his regular photographer just to make a scene... I wouldn’t rush to judge Marshall here. More like too many cooks in the kitchen. I would’ve left for a blowjob too.

Edit: love the consensus holy shit. :lol: :clap:
I think this is the case when both get the blame. I've read recent Mike Mignola, Hellboy's creator who was attached to this project at the early stages, interview for Vulture, and he named two scenes from the movie that were Marshal's ideas. Primarily, he named the retelling of Hellboy's origin that introduces Lobster Johnson and the scene opening with the Luchador Vampire. Both of those were Marshal's ideas, and both of those were pointless. Marshal literally wanted to put random shit in the movie because it was in the comics and was cool. I don't think Marshal had any idea of what he actually wanted to do.

Pratham wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 1:49 pm
m4st4 wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 7:22 am
a) Are you allstar?
b) What crow?
I'm just pulling your leg. I remember you being excited as Mignola was involved.

Who knew he'd end up being one of the many cooks.
I suggest everyone interested in this movie's failure to read this recent interview with Mignola https://www.vulture.com/2019/04/mike-mi ... shall.html. He pretty much says that he only had written the first draft of the story, which happened long before there was any idea of who is going to direct and who is going to star. Then his script got completely rewritten in the process.
Last edited by Master Virgo on April 13th, 2019, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Multiple posting

As one of the few people who did not mind the trailers... This movie was dreadful. Utterly dreadful. I'm all for crazy, over-the-top violence (ex. The Church scene in Kingsman: The Secret Service), but both the violence and language were really gratuitous and it felt exhausting. And I shit you not, the movie turns into The Last Knight by the third act.

The only bright spot in the movie was David Harbour as Hellboy (who might have given a better portrayal than Pearlman, take that however you may), but I would have preferred seeing the movie he thought he was making. And I also dug the dynamic between him and Ian McShane. Everything else belonged in the trash.

This reminded me so much of the League of Extraordinary Gentleman.

And much like that movie, it's overly stuffed, with terrible CGI... but still kind of fun. I'm in no way a Hellboy expert but some of the mythological creatures were incorporated into the story quite nicely, and made for a terrific concept. Unfortunately the cinematography, CGI and acting by everyone other than Harbour failed it. A bunch of nobodies and possibly the worst Ian McShane performance ever. The ending scene of his character felt like an insult to the actor.