Hellboy (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Why on earth would anyone think he's a good Daimio in the first place and why is Daimio in this? Oh god.

Is the character's ethnicity important within the story? Would it change anything in the portrayal of that character and his arc if he were white? If not then I don't get the uproar. If yes, then I don't get why they would cast him in the first place.

LelekPL wrote:Is the character's ethnicity important within the story? Would it change anything in the portrayal of that character and his arc if he were white? If not then I don't get the uproar. If yes, then I don't get why they would cast him in the first place.
They probably would've written the character as white in this, so yeah, story-wise it may not be as important, otherwise it would be yellowface. Regardless, if the character was Asian, it was a nice opportunity to cast someone who was Asian as well - I don't see a lot of roles for Asian people in mainstream movies and it's safe to assume that "race neutral" characters are immediately cast with white actors, so yeah, it would be a nice thing to give a more fair representation a shot and not erase the very little opportunitites they've got.

It's weird because you don't know he's half-Asian until it's revealed within the story, it's a major twist actually.

And Guy Davis' interpretation of him, for years, was this:

I don't know about you but, knowing Daimio's personality, age (late 40s/mid 50s) and looks, he's more Josh Brolin or Benicio Del Toro than anybody Asian I know. Absolute badass of a character and, again, weirdly in this movie? Hopefully just a setup for future B.P.R.D. standalone.

lmao just realized the guy from Stranger Things is Hellboy. In.

Bacon wrote:lmao just realized the guy from Stranger Things is Hellboy. In.
He also played Jar Jar Binks in Quantum of Solace