Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
It's just weird that the F&F franchise slowly transformed into Naked Gun. I honestly never knew how to react to these films, and I have the same, if not an even stronger reaction to Hobbs & Shaw. I understand why a lot of people enjoy this, but for me this isn't what an entertaining action film is. No physical or medical consequences of actions, laws of physics are seemingly non-existent, it looks like the main heroes can literally do anything - it's the same sort of "meh" action genre that the Transformers franchise perfected. And the same goes to previous F&F films of course, 5-6-7 and 8 that were getting exponentially sillier. So for people who enjoyed those, Hobbs & Shaw looks like the culmination of all the previous entries, but whenever I see action set pieces like the ones in the Hobbs & Shaw trailer, my enthusiasm just switches off. I might be old fashioned, but when it comes to action films and action scenes, I like to understand the stakes, the limits of characters' capabilities, the boundaries of the laws of physics, etc. I don't want to take it away from people who like these films, so good for you, I just wanted to share my point of view.

But I guess if I honestly think that one of the most entertaining action films I saw in recent years was the first Jack Reacher movie, then it's no surprise I'm not up for Hobbs & Shaw :D
Last edited by DHOPW42 on June 30th, 2019, 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

DHOPW42 wrote:
June 30th, 2019, 5:47 am
It's just weird that the F&F franchise slowly transformed into Naked Gun. I honestly never knew how to react to these films, and I have the same, if not an even stronger reaction to Hobbs & Shaw. I understand why a lot of people enjoy this, but for me this isn't what an entertaining action film is. No physical or medical consequences of actions, laws of physics are seemingly non-existent, it looks like the main heroes can literally do anything - it's the same sort of "meh" action genre that the Transformers franchise perfected. And the same goes to previous F&F films of course, 5-6-7 and 8 that were getting exponentially sillier. So for people who enjoyed those, Hobbs & Shaw looks like the culmination of all the previous entries, but whenever I see action set pieces like the ones in the Hobbs & Shaw trailer, my enthusiasm just switches off. I might be old fashioned, but when it comes to action films and action scenes, I like to understand the stakes, the limits of characters' capabilities, the bounderies of the laws of physics, etc. I don't want to take it away from people who like these films, so good for you, I just wanted to share my point of view.

But I guess if I honestly think that one of the most entertaining action films I saw in recent years was the first Jack Reacher movie, then it's no surprise I'm not up for Hobbs & Shaw :D
Preach. If you want to see action evolved, look for MI: Fallout as well.

Absolutely adored this, in all its ridiculousness. Playing like a Brosnan-era Bond film (with its own version of SPECTRE) on crack - or more accurately, nitro - this thankfully does away with connections to the mainline F&F franchise and sets up its own thing - all for the better.

The real star of the show is the script (or more specifically, dialogue) and the cast that exchange all these barbs: The Rock and Statham are as hilarious together as you've hoped, Kirby is *fantastic*, Elba and everyone else is hamming it up and clearly having fun in the best way - and a lot of it appears to be thanks to Drew Pearce specifically (and Leitch's Deadpool pedigree, though when I saw Pearce's name in the credits I went 'aaaaahhh') - remember when this was supposed to be a Shane Black joint? Can really tell... There's a sense of self-awareness that gels a whole lot better than the latter F&F films, and the drama/backstories...actually...work, like, earnestly? Unlike the soapiness of Diesel's stuff.

But what Leitch brings here is a suitably ridiculous style that attempts to bring the bling and the action of his previous works all together (and you can extend that to this film as a whole being a very admirable attempt to do that) - very much succeeds at the former, with the latter I did miss the uncut and clean fight choreography which defined John Wick and Atomic Blonde, tough to adapt to PG13 evidently.

Give me 8 of these movies in a row please and thanks Universal. I think they honestly have something interesting here in the spy franchise world - a 90s styled, star-studded and gloriously OTT counterpoint to the seriousness of Bond, crazy real stunts of Mission: Impossible, and the comic-bookyness of Kingsman that seems to, on reflection, properly fulfil the direction that the main Fast films have been going in. In other words, get these two to space and not Diesel.

Anyone see the Tenet trailer with this?
Still on the fence on whether or not I wanna see any footage.

You can definitely see the teaser. There are neither any story points nor money shots in it.

dumb, stupid, mindless fun

I loved it

didn't get the Tenet teaser in front of mine though

Cilogy wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 1:24 am

I loved it

How was miss Kirby?

m4st4 wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 3:39 am
Cilogy wrote:

I loved it

How was miss Kirby?
If you didn't love her in Fallout you will in this

antovolk wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 11:25 am
m4st4 wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 3:39 am
Cilogy wrote:

I loved it

How was miss Kirby?
If you didn't love her in Fallout you will in this
I loved her in both Fallout and Crown though? ;P

Going tonight!!

You're gonna utterly adore her in this, she's probably the best thing about this film haha

4DX round 2 tomorrow, BRING IT.

And stay until the very end of the credits.

For those who have seen the film
Keanu being cut because of the leak sticks out like a sore thumb...given Leitch brought this many people back from his previous films