Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
BlairCo wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 1:15 am
Gunn mentioned on his blog that he went to different themed costume parties with his friends. There was 1920s film, Goth Rock, etc (And there are pictures of those parties as well). It just so happened that To Catch a Predator was the theme of one of those parties that he attended.

To me, the pictures don't confirm that he is a pedophile whatsoever; it just continues to show that he had a very grotesque sense of humour.
Well, duh. Imagine being a serial killer who dresses up as Jason Vorhees or Mike Myers. 🕷️

tinfoil hat time cause i'm fucking bored
mickey leaked the pictures to finally settle down the controversy and to make sure no other studio will hire him for blockbusters. there's no way he wasn't vetted before getting hired to direct an mcu movie.

Pratham wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 2:00 am
tinfoil hat time cause i'm fucking bored
mickey leaked the pictures to finally settle down the controversy and to make sure no other studio will hire him for blockbusters. there's no way he wasn't vetted before getting hired to direct an mcu movie.
Hot take: he wasn't. Even megastudios make mistakes. Celebrities are doing way worse shit as-we-speak, like actual vile things.🕷

I have to be honest, I still have a weird problem with this whole situation, even after these leaked photos. I will try to make my point clear.

I've only seen two of these photos, where they simply pose in front of the camera in their respective "characters". I didn't find them shocking or disgusting in any way, the most I could say is that they were in bad taste. But wasn't that a private party? And also, we still have to bear in mind that Gunn comes from the world of Troma, a - correct me if I'm wrong - independent, small film studio that was huge when it came to shock humor and Grindhouse-style exploitation B-films. That's where he comes from.

First of all, I'm not saying that just because you love shock comedy or any type of harsher comedy, you cannot be held accountable for anything you say. That, of course, is not true. But I am still missing the moment where Gunn turned out to be MORE than just a guy who's trying to prove something when it comes to the style of comedy he and his friends love and grew up with.

I mean I don't find it funny, none of his Tweets are funny in a comedic sense in my eyes, but I still fail to see where it turns out to be something other than a comedic attempt. I still fail to see the point where Gunn crossed any actual line.

People are saying things like "Okay NOW I'm sorry I defended Gunn", but... I honestly don't get why it's upsetting that a circle of friends, grown-up people, dress up as priests and underage girls. As a joke, at a private party.

We could say that it was a mistake that he uploaded those to a public blog, but we only say that it's a mistake in hindsight. Because now he's a guy who helmed two huge Disney films.

So the most I could say is that those photos are in bad taste, because even in our time, sexual abuse in the Catholic Church is a horrifying and true phenomenon, so in this way the photos are insensitive, but... to me this is really far from being disgusting or something that could make me say that I was wrong to defend Gunn (which I actually never did).

I understand to a degree why people find this inappropriate, but I think there are certain levels of "inappropriate behavior" and the most that can be said about Gunn, based on evidence, is that he always manages to offend a large number of people with his comedy. (I know he's not a comedian - when I say comedy in this context, I simply mean that Gunn, I'm sure, doesn't mean all this stuff) So I've yet to see some evidence of Gunn being a twisted, dangerous person other than tweets and images that were definitely meant as jokes - inappropriate jokes about sensitive topics, but still.

And you also need to see the hypocrisy in this: people who are leaking stuff about Gunn are most probably fans of the guy who was actually caught saying really horrible and real things about women, people of color, other countries and nations, a guy whose lies have been caught not several but almost an infinite number of times. I don't want to get into "whataboutism", so I'm not saying that, just because Trump is still President despite every real evidence that he's unfit for office, Gunn should stay as director at Disney. I'm just saying that this whole thing looks suspiciously like a political attack on Gunn - for reasons beyond me.

m4st4 wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 2:21 am
Celebrities are doing way worse shit as-we-speak, like actual vile things.🕷
That doesn't mean Disney didn't vet him. I'm willing to bet they know more than you'd think.

Bacon wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 2:38 am
m4st4 wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 2:21 am
Celebrities are doing way worse shit as-we-speak, like actual vile things.🕷
That doesn't mean Disney didn't vet him. I'm willing to bet they know more than you'd think.
Of course. All I'm saying is that big company doesn't automatically mean better research of their employers. More often it's just about the right sort of man for the job at hands, their personal background comes into focus when/if they become huge celebrities like Gunn did. 🕷

Keep this in mind guys; none of this was leaked. Everything that has been posted about Gunn, including these photos, Gunn posted himself and he eventually deleted. They've simply resurfaced.

DHOPW42 wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 2:33 am
I have to be honest, I still have a weird problem with this whole situation, even after these leaked photos. I will try to make my point clear.

I've only seen two of these photos, where they simply pose in front of the camera in their respective "characters". I didn't find them shocking or disgusting in any way, the most I could say is that they were in bad taste. But wasn't that a private party? And also, we still have to bear in mind that Gunn comes from the world of Troma, a - correct me if I'm wrong - independent, small film studio that was huge when it came to shock humor and Grindhouse-style exploitation B-films. That's where he comes from.

First of all, I'm not saying that just because you love shock comedy or any type of harsher comedy, you cannot be held accountable for anything you say. That, of course, is not true. But I am still missing the moment where Gunn turned out to be MORE than just a guy who's trying to prove something when it comes to the style of comedy he and his friends love and grew up with.

I mean I don't find it funny, none of his Tweets are funny in a comedic sense in my eyes, but I still fail to see where it turns out to be something other than a comedic attempt. I still fail to see the point where Gunn crossed any actual line.

People are saying things like "Okay NOW I'm sorry I defended Gunn", but... I honestly don't get why it's upsetting that a circle of friends, grown-up people, dress up as priests and underage girls. As a joke, at a private party.

We could say that it was a mistake that he uploaded those to a public blog, but we only say that it's a mistake in hindsight. Because now he's a guy who helmed two huge Disney films.

So the most I could say is that those photos are in bad taste, because even in our time, sexual abuse in the Catholic Church is a horrifying and true phenomenon, so in this way the photos are insensitive, but... to me this is really far from being disgusting or something that could make me say that I was wrong to defend Gunn (which I actually never did).

I understand to a degree why people find this inappropriate, but I think there are certain levels of "inappropriate behavior" and the most that can be said about Gunn, based on evidence, is that he always manages to offend a large number of people with his comedy. (I know he's not a comedian - when I say comedy in this context, I simply mean that Gunn, I'm sure, doesn't mean all this stuff) So I've yet to see some evidence of Gunn being a twisted, dangerous person other than tweets and images that were definitely meant as jokes - inappropriate jokes about sensitive topics, but still.

And you also need to see the hypocrisy in this: people who are leaking stuff about Gunn are most probably fans of the guy who was actually caught saying really horrible and real things about women, people of color, other countries and nations, a guy whose lies have been caught not several but almost an infinite number of times. I don't want to get into "whataboutism", so I'm not saying that, just because Trump is still President despite every real evidence that he's unfit for office, Gunn should stay as director at Disney. I'm just saying that this whole thing looks suspiciously like a political attack on Gunn - for reasons beyond me.
Well said.

DHOPW42’s post is really a well rounded and sober reaction at all of this.

Yes, the pictures are upsetting, as is the whole situation. But I honestly cannot see how they’re so much worse than what we initially knew and how is that a game changer? I’ve seen only 2 pictures and all “participants” looked like very obvious adults. At worst that’s just probably a shitty extension of how “bad” his humor went, which was bad and offensive in the first place. I just have a hard time believing this is enough for people to doom him as an actual criminal or pervert, whatever they’d want to call him. A very important detail is that this is happening post time’s up and me too - while people in the industry (minorities especially) are STILL being silenced and threatened on a daily basis, just like this is happening everywhere in the world, you cannot argue that the general atmosphere is much more ‘pleasant’, if you can call it that, to people opening up and coming out with allegations. Correct me if I’m wrong, but no one’s ever come out against him? There are no rumors, no allegations, no accusations, yet a few tweets (a guy on reddit actually did a really decent breakdown on them, and it works in providing needed context) and two pics are enough to put this guy in the same basket with people who’ve had actual lawsuits brought upon them?

Dunno man. Disney technically didn’t do wrong, but there’s just so much stuff in between that I find it hard to be so absolute.

The pictures kinda work as... reinforcements I guess?

I mean there's lots of variety even in shock humour genre but in Gunn's case it seems to revolve around pedophilia and not much else?

Just a thought.
BlairCo wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 2:45 am
Keep this in mind guys; none of this was leaked. Everything that has been posted about Gunn, including these photos, Gunn posted himself and he eventually deleted. They've simply resurfaced.
Timing for resurfacing is oddly convenient then. Not immediately after the tweets to get them discussed in same breath.
Plus, all the news related to photos and Disney not rehiring him are removed from mainstream subs like /r/Movies, places where many people were on his side after the initial news a month back. Seems fishy to me.