Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Oku
Sanchez wrote:
okungnyo wrote:Saving Private Ryan most definitely does not deserve to be anywhere near the Top 250.
I hope you know that you're in the minority on that. A lot of people think SPR is the greatest war movie ever made, and one of Spielberg's best.

It's a classic that won over the audience, the box office, the critics and the awards. I think the majority of people interested in film would have it in their personal top 250 list if they made one.
I do realize that I am in the minority on that. :lol:

I admit that I may have overreacted by saying it shouldn't be in the top 250 entirely.

But #29 is still a bit too high, no?
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
okungnyo wrote:The helicopter shot of Farrier's view, right?
That's one of them. I was also referring to these two shots:

Sanchez wrote:
okungnyo wrote:Saving Private Ryan most definitely does not deserve to be anywhere near the Top 250.
I hope you know that you're in the minority on that. A lot of people think SPR is the greatest war movie ever made, and one of Spielberg's best.

It's a classic that won over the audience, the box office, the critics and the awards. I think the majority of people interested in film would have it in their personal top 250 list if they made one.
This is my sentiment.
Those two shots look good, tho?!?!

Hmm, what could be the cause of it being unconvincing in your eyes??
Michaelf2225 wrote:
Sanchez wrote:

it is THE war movie and anyone who tries to argue otherwise is kidding themselves

we can all have our personal opinions/preferences, obviously, but i'd question the list more if SPR wasn't on there.
Better than Dunkirk?? :P

Oku wrote:Those two shots look good, tho?!?!

Hmm, what could be the cause of it being unconvincing in your eyes??
Like I said, I think it's the smoke. I don't know for sure, but when trying to pinpoint it I think that's what it is.

Oku
The smoke looks fine to me, though; what about it bothers you?

Oku wrote:The smoke looks fine to me, though; what about it bothers you?
It doesn't look real to me, I can't explain it. When CGI shows up on my radar, I can just detect it. The ship looks mostly convincing, but combined with the smoke I just know it's not real. And it's not like I'm actively looking for it.

What about the ship sinking from Farrier's POV doesn't look real to you? I'm not saying it does, but I'd like to know what your criteria is for detecting CGI versus in-camera effects.

Oku
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
It doesn't look real to me, I can't explain it. When CGI shows up on my radar, I can just detect it. The ship looks mostly convincing, but combined with the smoke I just know it's not real. And it's not like I'm actively looking for it.

What about the ship sinking from Farrier's POV doesn't look real to you? I'm not saying it does, but I'd like to know what your criteria is for detecting CGI versus in-camera effects.
I found the way it capsizes (turns on its side) jittery and unnatural.

But then again, I've never seen a ship capsize like that in real time, so maybe that's accurate, I dunno.
Nomis wrote:Feast your eyes peeps: https://imgur.com/a/s3lF9
How are you finding so many of these still albums?

Nightline
‏Verified account @Nightline
2h 2 hours ago

Nightline’s piece on @goldenglobes-nominated @dunkirkmovie: Director Christopher Nolan, who is nominated for best director, shares his thoughts on casting Fionn Whitehead as a fresh-faced lead and @Harry_Styles. #GoldenGlobes #Dunkirk

video here:
https://twitter.com/Nightline/status/950170209171644416

Oku wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:

I found the way it capsizes (turns on its side) jittery and unnatural.

But then again, I've never seen a ship capsize like that in real time, so maybe that's accurate, I dunno.
As much as I agree, I don't know if your opinion can be validated if you watch with motion interpolation lol.

I'll tell you what CGI looked terrible in the movie. The overhead, bird's eye view of the minesweeper sinking. It suddenly goes from a dark grey to an extemely light grey and the soldiers running around with their bright brown uniforms look ridiculous. It almost appears as if they didn't color grade it like the rest of the movie.