Venom (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Classic Venom is one of the best designs out of all this pulp filth. It might actually be considered art.

And then it turns out in the film he'll look nothing like the comics lol. I admire some people's optimism for this project but looking at the writer and director for this does not exactly fill me with confidence. It might turn out to be aesthetically close (but we have no idea of that yet) and it seems to have attracted some talented actors but even they can be directed (and the story can be written) in a way that wastes all of their potential. With the number of superhero-related films coming out every year we have to increase our quality standards.

Oku
I would normally agree, but...Mr. Hardy.

His involvement has got to be like the only reason people have the slightest inkling of faith in this.

I 2nd that, Mr. Hardy!

Having Hardy on board and with the it being so early. I don't know that there is enough info about this film to freak everyone out yet. (Besides we don't know how they are going to do Venom's origin without Spider-man, if that is indeed the case then that doesn't make sense and we can call foul lol)

Did we all forget that Tom Hardy starred in This Means War? He's a great, great actor but his involvement doesn't guarantee a good script.

darthnazgul wrote:Did we all forget that Tom Hardy starred in This Means War? He's a great, great actor but his involvement doesn't guarantee a good script.
No, but I haven't seen enough not to be interested yet. It could end up very well being crap.

Batfan175 wrote:And then it turns out in the film he'll look nothing like the comics lol. I admire some people's optimism for this project but looking at the writer and director for this does not exactly fill me with confidence. It might turn out to be aesthetically close (but we have no idea of that yet) and it seems to have attracted some talented actors but even they can be directed (and the story can be written) in a way that wastes all of their potential. With the number of superhero-related films coming out every year we have to increase our quality standards.
I don't know much about comic books but I think Venom has a very standardized appearance, like Spider-Man, Batman, Superman. It's not like Venom needs* it in the sense of having bright purple armor that would look weird in real life.

*I don't even like comics and I think they should just stay with the same outfits. Nolan's Joker had green hair and a purple suit. Don't tell me it can't work.

darthnazgul wrote:Did we all forget that Tom Hardy starred in This Means War? He's a great, great actor but his involvement doesn't guarantee a good script.
Didn't he talk about specifically choosing that movie to do a subpar film though?

Oku
It's using the MCU intro?

I'm confused now.