The Post: The Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep are teaming with Steven Spielberg on the Pentagon Papers drama, The Post.

The feature will focus on the Washington Post's role in publishing the infamous study about the America's role in the Vietnam War, centering on the work of Post editor Ben Bradlee (Hanks) and publisher Kay Graham (Streep).

Spielberg will direct from a spec script by Liz Hannah, which was initially picked up by Amy Pascal to produce through her Pascal Pictures banner.

Pascal and Spielberg will produce, along with and Kristie Macosko Krieger. Fox and Amblin Entertainment will co-finance the feature, with Fox handling domestic distribution and Amblin taking on international duties.

Currently, Spielberg is in post-production on Ready Player One and has a number of projects lined up, including The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara and the fifth Indiana Jones installment.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/t ... k_20170306

Great news. Spielberg periodicals are neat and so are Hanks and Streep.

Jason Robards portrayal as Ben Bradlee is probably one of my favourite performances of all time, so this is going to be interesting.

The Academy's gonna love this.

Hanks is probably my nr. 1 favorite actor. No way this movie is gonna suck, even though I don't know anything about the subject.

prowlercomesaround wrote:Great news. Spielberg periodicals are neat and so are Hanks and Streep.

Jason Robards portrayal as Ben Bradlee is probably one of my favourite performances of all time, so this is going to be interesting.

Insanely good performance. Jason Robards was always great

Sanchez wrote:Hanks is probably my nr. 1 favorite actor. No way this movie is gonna suck, even though I don't know anything about the subject.
Hanks and Streep have been a part of their fair share of stinkers. Spielberg isn't consistent either, so it can go either way.

shauner111 wrote:
Sanchez wrote:Hanks is probably my nr. 1 favorite actor. No way this movie is gonna suck, even though I don't know anything about the subject.
Hanks and Streep have been a part of their fair share of stinkers. Spielberg isn't consistent either, so it can go either way.
he's 10 for twelve this century - 11 for 12 if you're an Indy 4 apologist, so the odds this is good are pretty high

Yeah. Most of Hanks' duds came in the first half of his career. He picked so many trash movies I'm surprised he resisted in the business tbh lol.

Michaelf2225 wrote:
shauner111 wrote:
he's 10 for twelve this century - 11 for 12 if you're an Indy 4 apologist, so the odds this is good are pretty high
I'm one of the biggest Spielberg fan there is. I like his films more than Nolan's... and even I wouldn't say he's 10 for 12 (and who's an Indy 4 apologist? Are there any of those in the universe?)
I guess, judging by the popular opinion, and using sports analogy, he's at 4 clear wins (Catch me if You Can, Munich, Minority Report and Lincoln), 5 ties (A.I., War of the Worlds, War Horse, Tintin, Bridge of Spies) and 3 losses (Terminal, The BFG and Indy 4). So that's a 4-5-3 record.

Me personally, I liked most of his films, but I only loved one - Catch Me If You Can.

Munich was very good but as I learned, also a little forgettable, since I don't remember much from it. I thought War Horse was underrated (amazing cinematography), War of the Worlds and Minority Report are fun. A.I. was a fascinating experiment, Lincoln was super important and I even enjoyed the Terminal. But none of them are actually great, worthy of Spielberg's name.

And I hate his reliance on (bad) CGI in this century. I haven't even seen The BFG because of it. That's one of the fears I have for Ready Player One, that all the action will feel fake as shit and he'll have an excuse by saying "it's all in the virtual reality", whereas the books portrayed that world as photorealistic.
Last edited by LelekPL on March 6th, 2017, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i was talking about Spielberg, specifically