The Post: The Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Nomis wrote:
January 20th, 2018, 8:11 am
Will there be an NF-O-Meter for this?
Not from me. I will try to do one for The Phantom Thread when more people have seen it though.£

Any other films on the list for an NF-O-Meter? Would be nice

Unless another movie gets a good deal of viewings and ratings from Nolan fans, I think we are pretty much done for 2017.£

Just got back, Spielberg has still got it.
What bothers me is that the script is often way too much on the nose. It's that the performances are good to pretty great (Streep) and Spielberg knows so well how to balance so many characters in a single place and to keep you invested in what's going on. Even though it does take awhile before the tempo goes up. I also think this is amongst Kaminski's better work of recently. There were no crazy high contrast scenes or anything like that. This time the heavy 'sunlight through the window" shots felt much more justified because of the heavy smoking.
As I feared though, I will never get used to Williams' overly melodramatic scores. This isn't anything new from him.

Does this movie have a legendary helping hand type of lines, like ‘oh, you mean the secretary of defense wink-wink’? I hate those types of scripts. How about you say the line and let me try and pedal faster or do some research if I want to. Breaks the illusion of realism.

m4st4 wrote:
January 25th, 2018, 1:59 am
Does this movie have a legendary helping hand type of lines, like ‘oh, you mean the secretary of defense wink-wink’? I hate those types of scripts. How about you say the line and let me try and pedal faster or do some research if I want to. Breaks the illusion of realism.
Well, there are quite some monologues about values and what is right and wrong, with any other character they're talking to just... Agreeing. It's too on the nose. It's too much of an answer to the time we live in now. And don't get me started on Williams' score, I just can't, I can't even

Just saw this.

I knew nothing about these events beforehand. First act was slow as hell, and I had a real hard time following along with the story and all the names. Still, towards the end I was completely engrossed in the story. Wonderful cast, and filled with classical Spielbergian camera movements and shots which are always a delight to experience. Disappointed in Williams though.

Better than Bridge of Spies for sure. But I still think it is among the weakest out of the BP noms this year.