Dark Phoenix (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The reshoots aren't really that obvious like it was with say Justice League. There are a lot more problems with this movie than just the fact that it was reshot. For me, I don't think the problem with the movie is not knowing what it wants to be; it knows exactly what it wants to be, and what it wants to be is something that I would have ended up loving.

Unfortunately, it ends up being the worst version of itself. It wants to be small and intimate, and I applaud Kinberg for wanting that, but it does not work when you take the scale that previous X-Men movies have established into account. To go from X-Men: Apocalypse, which is a huge and chunky popcorn disaster movie, to what is essentially a character study, it just does not work. The fact that this movie has a budget of $200 million is fucking ludicrous.

The action is uninspired and sterile, the storyline is hollow, and the actors look like they're waiting for Disney to take over so they don't have to play these characters anymore. The most positive comments I can give for this movie is that Zimmer does his thing, and the visual effects were really well done. It's such a sad thing to know that Fox went out on such a deep, deep low.

I've seen maybe half a trailer for this and that's about it. The last one completely killed the momentum for me (not, not Logan, the other one), and I adored DOFP.

Right now I'm just ready to see how MCU reboots both X-Men and FF.

antovolk wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 7:04 pm
Here's the thing about this film - it doesn't know what it wants to be. A traditional X-Men team movie or this offbeat Logan-type thing (to use the reference point that Kinberg specifically called out). Or more crucially in terms of the story, a more character-driven and somewhat introspective team divided thing (what Civil War pulled off immensely. There were definitely some very interesting ideas there that they just weren't able to execute) or this off-brand Skrull invasion (holy shit was Chastain and that whole part flat out bad)/crazy powers. Did they even need the whole Phoenix superpower thing, like what they establish here could honestly be enough for the conflict to be compelling but nooooooo you have to
patch everything up to team up to fight Chastain and her discount Skrulls. and they literally are discount Skrulls, that design and animation lol
Chastain sinks. Time to change her Twitter avy.

X2 is one of the greatest action films of all time.

Allstar wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 12:24 am
antovolk wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 7:04 pm
Here's the thing about this film - it doesn't know what it wants to be. A traditional X-Men team movie or this offbeat Logan-type thing (to use the reference point that Kinberg specifically called out). Or more crucially in terms of the story, a more character-driven and somewhat introspective team divided thing (what Civil War pulled off immensely. There were definitely some very interesting ideas there that they just weren't able to execute) or this off-brand Skrull invasion (holy shit was Chastain and that whole part flat out bad)/crazy powers. Did they even need the whole Phoenix superpower thing, like what they establish here could honestly be enough for the conflict to be compelling but nooooooo you have to
patch everything up to team up to fight Chastain and her discount Skrulls. and they literally are discount Skrulls, that design and animation lol
Chastain sinks. Time to change her Twitter avy.
And fire Kinberg off 355...

ugh

I was planning on making a night of this

fuck me

Looking back on it, she was definitely the weakest link in Interstellar. I’m not sure how she was so good in ZD30 - something specifically about that film and character really fit her. She hasn’t been able to replicate anything close to that since.

Uh, she was pretty damn good in Molly's Game.

ChristNolan wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 10:51 am
Looking back on it, she was definitely the weakest link in Interstellar.
?? She was absolutely terrific. What she pulls off in the final scene, when she finally understands and opens herself to love, that is some of my favourite acting ever. Also Take shelter, The Tree of life... Chastain is most definitely not a fraud.
Though, yes, she has been making poor choices in her career these last three years.

Fuck, she was so good in The Tree of Life.