Dark Phoenix (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
okay so how bad was this?

Ruth wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 6:06 am
Demoph wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 3:39 am
You can be a feminist and not like every feminist, or defend every kind of feminism. You don't abandon your right to have an opinion by recognizing the value of an idea. You can have tastes, opinions that contradict the idea, otherwise the idea becomes an ideological prison, which is terrible imo.
This. I don't think it applies much to Allstar, because he's had a thing for shitting on Chastain on every occasion. Others don't tend to criticize the "content" of her feminism either, they just hate a feminist who's loud

But I'll say this. I support Chastain as an actress, because despite her choices lately, to suggest she lacks artistic capacity to perform is STUPID. She's incredibly talented. And I support her right and need to talk and commit herself to a cause, because we need people like that. But as for her feminism itself... I honestly don't care for it at all. It's not to say I completely disagree with her (although that strong women character interview is at this point perma locked into my brain), but I feel like a lot of what she does is loud, but...vapid. It's like "I support women, they're strong :)", which in itself is not a wrong statement, but there's no depth to it, no very necessary complexities of feminism that go way beyond just mere "girl power!". It's like calling bad people bad. Of course it's not her job to be an all educated activist, and just being able to use your power to help attract attention and empower is great, but is she really some modern feminism pioneer, idk man. I don't think so. It's a tricky topic to discuss.
I can agree with this but at the same time, she's been doing stuff behind the scenes that go beyond surface level. Remember when Octavia Spencer said that Chastain helped her out when negotiating a contract?

I think there is depth to her actions. If she put more depth to her words, people would hate her even more. And right now she gets hate for saying stuff that's kind of shallow.

Artemis wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 8:58 am
Ruth wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 6:06 am
Demoph wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 3:39 am
You can be a feminist and not like every feminist, or defend every kind of feminism. You don't abandon your right to have an opinion by recognizing the value of an idea. You can have tastes, opinions that contradict the idea, otherwise the idea becomes an ideological prison, which is terrible imo.
This. I don't think it applies much to Allstar, because he's had a thing for shitting on Chastain on every occasion. Others don't tend to criticize the "content" of her feminism either, they just hate a feminist who's loud

But I'll say this. I support Chastain as an actress, because despite her choices lately, to suggest she lacks artistic capacity to perform is STUPID. She's incredibly talented. And I support her right and need to talk and commit herself to a cause, because we need people like that. But as for her feminism itself... I honestly don't care for it at all. It's not to say I completely disagree with her (although that strong women character interview is at this point perma locked into my brain), but I feel like a lot of what she does is loud, but...vapid. It's like "I support women, they're strong :)", which in itself is not a wrong statement, but there's no depth to it, no very necessary complexities of feminism that go way beyond just mere "girl power!". It's like calling bad people bad. Of course it's not her job to be an all educated activist, and just being able to use your power to help attract attention and empower is great, but is she really some modern feminism pioneer, idk man. I don't think so. It's a tricky topic to discuss.
I can agree with this but at the same time, she's been doing stuff behind the scenes that go beyond surface level. Remember when Octavia Spencer said that Chastain helped her out when negotiating a contract?

I think there is depth to her actions. If she put more depth to her words, people would hate her even more. And right now she gets hate for saying stuff that's kind of shallow.
Do you also remember when she hired a director who beat up women? And this happened post MeToo.

I agree with a lot of what Ruth is saying. Anyone who knows me knows my issue is not feminism.

Allstar wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 10:09 am

Do you also remember when she hired a director who beat up women? And this happened post MeToo.

I agree with a lot of what Ruth is saying. Anyone who knows me knows my issue is not feminism.
She made a mistake, was rightfully called out on it, the director left the project, and now the project has a new director.

He left on his own, not from her correcting her decision. She never addressed it ever since being called out. Just ignored it all. Also they still used his script and he still got paid for it.

We don't know what conversations Chastain had with him though. And okay she never addressed it but at least she didn't hunker down and constantly defend him as far as I know. Better to not say anything in this case it seems like.

He still would have been paid for the work even if he wasn't credited I imagine.

This just seems like a damned if you do damned if you don't situation for Chastain.

Anyway, Thursday night numbers are in for Dark Phoenix. A measly $5.0 million. Seems like the free keychains AMC was offering weren't enough to get butts in seats.

https://twitter.com/BoxOffice/status/11 ... 21925?s=19

Artemis wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 1:44 pm
This just seems like a damned if you do damned if you don't situation for Chastain.
Or you know just don’t hire the woman beater to begin with and hire a female director. The replacement wasn’t a female either and then she hired Kinberg for her all female spy movie. :facepalm:

Allstar wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 3:00 pm
Artemis wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 1:44 pm
Or you know just don’t hire the woman beater to begin with and hire a female director. The replacement wasn’t a female either and then she hired Kinberg for her all female spy movie. :facepalm:
What if the female director also beats women? :o joking aside, she can't change her past actions sadly but damn dude, you really go in on her.

Also, she asked Kinberg to direct way before Dark Phoenix came out. Seems like she just enjoys working with him.

If JLaw had an allergic reaction to the makeup then fine, but they couldn't do some good CGI with that stuff?