Call Me By Your Name (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Anyone with a moral compass.

I think if anything, the reason anyone would have more of a problem if Elio's character was a girl isn't because it would be inherently worse, but rather because society tends to infantilize girls more so than boys.

Exactly. But a kid is still a kid.

shauner111 wrote:It doesn't matter, it boils down to the same thing. Teacher or not. If this movie was about a 24 year old man (who looks 30) and has sex with a 17 year old girl, everyone would be disgusted. Quite frankly I'm ashamed of anyone who thinks this is okay.
No, it does matter. I'm not necessarily saying their relationship is right or wrong as I haven't yet seen the film, so can't provide any in depth thoughts, but when it comes to a relationship, power dynamics are HIGHLY important. Like when you mentioned the Weinstein situation(s), an important factor is that, regardless of age, when he coerced anyone into having sex with, or people had consensual casual sex with him, it's key to note that he was in a much much higher position than any of the women he raped/assaulted or harassed. He had incredible power over his victims, with a strong implication that these women had something to lose if they turned him down. So even if someone consented to sleeping with him, such a decision is, as Michael said, a very slippery slope, because of the power dynamics. Correct me if I'm wrong now, but all of his victims that we've heard of were not underage at the time, despite a bigger age gap. But it's still highly disturbing, purely because a) sexual harassment is just not okay and (super important) b) it's a very important figure exploiting younger and inexperienced people for "favors".

These two are completely random young guys, unaffected by professional ties. I can understand why people would think it's weirder than your typical "coming of age/romance" kinda story, but I really don't see how it's even remotely similar to what has been happening in the past few months in Hollywood.

You don't have to give me a history lesson on all of that. I didn't say Hammer's character abused Timothee's character. But my teacher comparison is the same thing to me. A kid is a kid, end of story. When you're under 18 you are a kid and a 24 year old american man should know this and be responsible enough, and not be a sicko in trying to seduce the kid over and over. I don't care if the teenager wants it. It makes zero difference. They are not an adult, they do not know better. The adult does. The fact that people would lynch ANYONE who would attempt this in real life, yet they embrace it 100 percent in a film, tells me that they're all hypocrites. Nobody is going to change my mind about this.

Even if they were both 17, i still didn't enjoy the characters in any way shape or form.

1.5/5 for me.

shauner111 wrote:You don't have to give me a history lesson on all of that.
I wasn't trying to give you a "history lesson", I was trying to add my thoughts on all of this. But hey, thanks for making it utterly clear that trying to have a discussion with you was a complete waste of time.

It's not that. I understand what went down and the differences between the two. I wasn't trying to do a straight up comparison.

shauner111 wrote:If this movie was about a 24 year old man (who looks 30) and has sex with a 17 year old girl, everyone would be disgusted. Quite frankly I'm ashamed of anyone who thinks this is okay.
Then you'd have to be disgusted with most of Europe. There are many 24 year olds with 17 year olds. Personally, I don't get it, and it feels a little creepy (not because of the age difference, which isn't that big, but rather picking up high school students just feels desperate and wrong) but it's actually a normal situation around here.

shauner111 wrote:You don't have to give me a history lesson on all of that. I didn't say Hammer's character abused Timothee's character. But my teacher comparison is the same thing to me. A kid is a kid, end of story. When you're under 18 you are a kid and a 24 year old american man should know this and be responsible enough, and not be a sicko in trying to seduce the kid over and over. I don't care if the teenager wants it. It makes zero difference. They are not an adult, they do not know better. The adult does. The fact that people would lynch ANYONE who would attempt this in real life, yet they embrace it 100 percent in a film, tells me that they're all hypocrites. Nobody is going to change my mind about this.

Even if they were both 17, i still didn't enjoy the characters in any way shape or form.

1.5/5 for me.
Under 18, it actually depends on the person's exact age in order to be considered a kid. I would not call a 17 or 16 year old a child. As soon as one hits 15 he or she is very much interested in having sex with whomever they like to have sex with. That also depends on what kind of parents or parent one is growing up in front of. But let's say, a 15 or 16 year old is interested in having sex with someone over 18, he/she for sure knows what they are doing. But, yes, it is up to the person, who is over 18 to step aside and tell the one who is still considered underage that it's not okay to have sex just yet.

shauner111 wrote:The fact that people would lynch ANYONE who would attempt this in real life, yet they embrace it 100 percent in a film, tells me that they're all hypocrites. Nobody is going to change my mind about this.
Do you not embrace violence on film and yet reject it in real life? It's part of the attraction of escapism, a hypothetical indulgence of forbidden fantasies.

I haven't seen it yet, so I'm not defending the movie. But it is a MOVIE, not to be confused with the real life. In any case we are all hypocrites in one way or another.