Call Me By Your Name (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
7212017 wrote:You guys are crazy, I thought this was his best role and performance thus far.

Watch all the hypocrites in Hollywood applaud this at the oscars, right after they deliver the heat on Spacey/Weinstein. The movie is a boring story about a grown ass man seducing and having sex with a underage boy & acts like its normal/romantic.

Barely any chemistry, self-absorbed, sleepy. A rich, bratty kid who is not likable at all, Armie Hammer who comes off like a creepy, pretentious 30 year old who barely has personality. Everyones reading quotes from novels as if it's the smartest thing in the world. All the suck up critics and Hollywood phonies will continue to eat this up. Pathetic. Only good thing was the cinematography.

shauner111 wrote:Watch all the hypocrites in Hollywood applaud this at the oscars, right after they deliver the heat on Spacey/Weinstein. The movie is a boring story about a grown ass man seducing and having sex with a underage boy & acts like its normal/romantic.
wat.

17 is not underage.£

Also the romance in the movie is consensual, right? Unlike the stuff the whole debate is about.

17 is not underage? Ok. The movie is on some pedophile shit and Hollywood loves it. It's also just not a good movie. Nobody is likable. It's exhausting to watch characters that are bratty and think everything is so fucking important, when it's really not. Biggest snoozefest of 2017.

But 14 is also the age of consent in Italy, isn't it?

17 IS underage, but as the romance in the film is obviously consensual, I don't think it's the same thing as an attempt to rape/force a 14 year old into having sex?

A 7 year age gap is not a big deal either imo. It's iffier when it comes to 17 and 24 years olds, than, let's say, 20 and 27 year olds, but if being underage is your main concern, would you react the same towards a couple of 17 and 20 year olds, for example? Or heck, even 17 and 18 year olds? You're a fully grown up adult in most countries when you're 18, while a 17 year old is legally still a kid.

Until a couple of years ago you could buy alcohol at the age of 16 in my country (it's 18 now). I know buying alcohol and having sex is not the same thing but come on, I'm not that surprised if people think 17 or 18 is too young to drink alcohol/having sex if there's one big country where you have to be 21 to buy alchohol LOL.

Anyway, I think a whole lot of people have sex much earlier than the age of consent (talking about civilized countries). As for the age gap, good point Ruth.

Dobson wrote:Also the romance in the movie is consensual, right? Unlike the stuff the whole debate is about.
The comparison to Weinstein and Spacey is such nonsense. The relationship was consensual, not predatory. The pursuer is the 17 year old not the 24 year old, the 24 year old rejects the 17 year old advances on multiple occasions. The relationship developed into an organic romance. I don’t know what movie this dude was watching but this is not some pedophile shit.
Last edited by cooldude on January 3rd, 2018, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.