Call Me By Your Name (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
shauner111 wrote:The problem is how this director doesnt add anything to make the characters go "wait a second..this is really fucked up and unethical". It goes along like it's normal and THAT is the biggest issue I have. I don't know what movie you're watching but it seemed to me like Hammer was the one who was always taking it further and further. It's his responsibility anyway and the whole thing came off as extremely creepy and snobby at the same time. None of the characters were interesting enough for me to want to spend 2 plus hours with..
Quite possibly because a good many people in the most socially advanced countries, don't consider it unethical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Europe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_c ... ted_States

£

I totally understand that on first glance, the relationship between a 17-year-old and a 24-year-old is icky.

But I think it is important to keep in mind that we can't compare everything to American standards. America treats people under the age of 21 like babies. Teenagers outside of America seem to be given more responsibility and more respect.
The relationship in the book and movie is not abusive at all and there are no power dynamics. Elio was the one going after Oliver and wanting him. Also keep in mind, Elio is the narrator and the narrator can be unreliable. The events are being told from his perspective. If anything, the novel could very well be a daydream of a 17-year-old boy who is crushing on this handsome American man.

shauner111 wrote:The problem is how this director doesnt add anything to make the characters go "wait a second..this is really fucked up and unethical". It goes along like it's normal and THAT is the biggest issue I have. I don't know what movie you're watching but it seemed to me like Hammer was the one who was always taking it further and further. It's his responsibility anyway and the whole thing came off as extremely creepy and snobby at the same time. None of the characters were interesting enough for me to want to spend 2 plus hours with..
American law does not apply everywhere else.

Nothing unethical occured according to law and everything was consensual.

But Hammer is American so he grew up with those laws and ethics. Him going to a different country where the laws are a little different, seducing a boy over in Italy, seems creepy as hell on his part. Especially since he's constantly making passes at Timothy's character. I never said it was abusive, but consensual or not, if a 25 or 45 year old teacher had sex with a student who was under 18..it wouldn't matter if the teen wanted it or not. Everyone here and in the media would throw pitchforks at the adult in the situation, and he/she would lose their job and would be tossed in jail. We'd all call them a sicko and move on. Yet this is a movie so apparently everyone is fine with it and think it's sooo romantic.

Hypocrisy. The classic Hollywood way.

a 25 year old teacher trying to get with a student under 18 is a ridiculous comparison for two reasons

1) they have power over the student which makes consent a slippery slope
2) their job is to teach children not to be romantically involved with them

It doesn't matter, it boils down to the same thing. Teacher or not. If this movie was about a 24 year old man (who looks 30) and has sex with a 17 year old girl, everyone would be disgusted. Quite frankly I'm ashamed of anyone who thinks this is okay.

so what if she's 17 and turns 18 the next day?

is it really that binary?

What if she's 16 and just turned 17 last week? Don't start that nonsense.

lmao.

shauner111 wrote:If this movie was about a 24 year old man (who looks 30) and has sex with a 17 year old girl, everyone would be disgusted...
Everyone?

Even all those people that defended Roy Moore for pursuing teenage girls as an adult?