The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I would rank the shorts this way:
1. The Gal Who Got Rattled
2. Meal Ticket
3. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
4. The Mortal Remains
5. Near Algodones
6. All Gold Canyon

I liked 5 of them, the only one that felt meh was All Gold Canyon. After I finished the movie I could barely remember what happened in it. The first two are the standouts, though. Dark, depressing, a little funny but overall very haunting. The Ballad is easily the funniest one and The Mortal Remains has a great atmosphere and rising tension. Algodones is ok.

Funny how it’s so different for everyone. After finishing the movie, Meal Ticket for me was the one I almost forgot about.

Near Algodones is really just too short, but not bad. That one line from Franco had me in stitches. Thanks, internet.

I couldn't finish this. And I can't remember the last time that has happened. I will try and get around to it again and maybe start from the beginning and see if I was having an off day.

I have a love hate relationship with the Coen brothers. No Country, The Man Who Wasn't There, Lebowski and A Serious Man are all favourites of mine yet I really dislike alot of the remaining films they have made. Probably the filmmakers with the most polarising output for my taste.

I liked it fine but thought that the highlight was easily Tom Waits’ defiling prospector and that his segment’s example of the film’s ultimate metaphor of humanity’s inconsequentiality lands better there than in any of the others.

the first one was fun the james franco one was whatever the liam neeson one was so exhausting i barely made it through the tom waits one cool but i was worn down then i gave up during the buffalo one

Best chapter is obvy Chapter 4: All Gold Canyon ft Tom Waits

In classic Coens fashion, it looks like there's absolutely no consensus on which of the six stories is the best. I've seen wildly different lists everywhere. Maybeeee the Buster Scruggs one is the most popular overall, but I could't say for sure.

Their filmography rankings is always also really different from list to list. Just shows how everything they do is so diverse and speaks differently to people. Even in the same film.

This not getting nominated for cinematography is a shame.

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 1:17 pm
In classic Coens fashion, it looks like there's absolutely no consensus on which of the six stories is the best. I've seen wildly different lists everywhere. Maybeeee the Buster Scruggs one is the most popular overall, but I could't say for sure.

Their filmography rankings is always also really different from list to list. Just shows how everything they do is so diverse and speaks differently to people. Even in the same film.
Tbh I have noticed a consensus - most people I’ve seen (places like reddit/etc.) do think the All Gold Canyon is the best one. And the Buster Scruggs one is the funniest/most deserving of its own full feature.

I do think the last one is a bit underappreciated though

From my memory:

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - Excellent
All Gold Canyon - Great
Near Algodone - Fun
The Gal Who Got Rattled - Decent, but too long
The Mortal Remains - Okay, I might've liked it more if I didn't feel worn out at this point
Meal Ticket - Terrible

And I agree that the cinematography is great.