Top Ten Movies of 2017

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The Empire Strikes Back is better than The Last Jedi

so that’s my favorite film this year

Cilogy wrote:The Empire Strikes Back is better than The Last Jedi

so that’s my favorite film this year
8-)

Dunkirk
Get Out
Logan
Baby Driver
The Shape Of Water
Mudbound
Wind River
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
IT
Wonder Woman

BR 2049
War Of The Planet Of The Apes
John Wick: Chapter Two
Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2
Split
mother!
Brawl In Cell Block 99
Logan Lucky
Molly's Game
Ingrid Goes West
Detroit
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Justice League
Kingsman: The Golden Circle
Roman J. Israel, Esq.
Kong: Skull Island
The Fate Of The Furious
Atomic Blonde
Bright
The Mountain Between Us
Alien: Covenant
The Dark Tower
Kidnap

Newest entry: Ingrid Goes West

I've seen way too many goddamn movies.

Crazy Eight wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote: This is good news, I should add The Skin I Live In or perhaps Letter Never Sent to my 2017 list as it is a common practice.
Go ahead, but you should very obviously, preferably in bold and italics, disclaim it's your list of movies you've seen in 2017, as opposed to list of movies that debuted in 2017. The comprehension of many of these forum members is extraordinarily lacking and you need to spoonfeed that to them.

You should also make sure to have a fondness for frogs beforehand in case things go south, though you're already a frog yourself so that seems taken care of.
https://youtu.be/AfIOBLr1NDU?t=1
underrated post

dude's been here since July of last year and he just now decided to start trolling

I mean, that's dedication

adding one i forgot and one i just watched
mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:the best movie i saw this year

the best acid trip under the radar movie about boys who rape someone then as punishment get sent to an island where they're turned into girls and fuck plants

cilly you should watch this

the best movie in terms of craft and only craft: baby driver & a cure for wellness

notably great: sacred deer, rick and morty
notably grood: the love witch, certain women, the crown
notably good: BPM, happy end, call me by ur name, br2049 (i agree with ridley tho), funkirk, song to song

best movie i didn't see but i'm sure i like: the beguiled

best scene: the airplane scene they shot 30 years later in Raiders of the Lost Ark: The Adaptation (i cried)

the worst: loving vincent

ArmandFancypants wrote:I see. So, theoretically then, to compress the analogy somewhat, would it be acceptable to include say, The Grand Budapest Hotel in my list of top movies for 2017, having seen it this year and being summarily impressed by it in contrast to the theatrically released fare of the calendar year? At what threshold of years does the analogy become disproportionate? I have watched the aforementioned Aldrich film this year for the first time, but would its inclusion in a theoretical post in 12 months time be preposterous or perfectly acceptable in your proposed system?
Your personal list of top ten movies of 2017 can include any movie regardless of when it came out, assuming your list doesn't specify it's a top ten of movies that came out in 2017. Even if you do specificy that it's time sensitive, then depending on the scenario, it may be acceptable to break the aforementioned critera in an example such as you had missing a December release from last year but had seen it in the year of your list.

You also seem to doubt that people consistently bend the rules of these types of lists, even in the where it's time sensitive. I see examples of it all the time, but the most recent off the top of my head is Gamespot's best of 2017 awards excluding PUBG because they only considered games before December 20th or a similar date to that. PUBG they said would be eligible for their best of 2018 awards despite it coming out the year before.

im losing brain cells at a drastic rate

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:im losing brain cells at a drastic rate
Yes, you've already lost the ability to post meaningful comments, use apostrophes, punctuate, and capitalize letters.

Foe'd.
I want my brain cells.