First Man (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I'm pretty certain the IMAX-shot sequence was scanned at 6k and delivered in 4K, with the rest in 2K. The 16mm segments that are intercut were definitely shown in full 1.43 with more image that in the regular scope version.

Nomis wrote:
January 21st, 2019, 7:41 am
Guess it's because of the amount of 16mm footage that they went for 2K?

A blu-ray sourced from a 70mm print would be bliss
its $$$. 2k is still very popular

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
January 20th, 2019, 7:51 pm
this is perhaps the most succinct description of the internet ever

apparently for UHD Dolby Vision, they almost always go back to the highest source file available, and since they scanned in 4K/6K but finished in 2K, they probably did get a 4K finish on the DV version.

-Vader

the 4k blu ray is an upscale so i dunnoo

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
January 21st, 2019, 7:04 pm
the 4k blu ray is an upscale so i dunnoo
the uhd is dolby vision. supposedly the whole DV workflow is to get the highest quality files available and they don't charge per pixel so in most cases they DO get the 4K scans and go from there. Who knows if that's the case here but it's commonly done that way.

-Vader

actually i just watched this with my dad, and regardless of the scan/master resolution, it looked pretty great (Vudu 4k Dolby Vision)

but he hated it - said it was too artsy which i totally knew was gonna happen but helps explain the GA reaction. didn't someone else's dad here have the same reaction? considering he's probably in the target audience for this, not good lol

since my mom died i make it a big deal to do a father/son movie thing where i take him to see something i think he'd like (he hates movies in general)

2017 i took him to see Dunkirk and planned to take him to see First Man

as soon as I saw it I cancelled the plans since i knew he'd fucking hate it, so imagine how confident i was

thus me saying for many months Chazelle/Singer didn't know what kind of movie they were making and intended it to be more of a research-focused biopic.

-Vader

it's such an interesting misfire

when i first saw it, i really liked or loved most of what was happening, but then basically didn't think about it again until i saw it again tonight. i still like the film, but yeah... it feels like Chazelle and Singer were making two totally different films

Hurwitz MVP tho

My dad and I loved it. And the blu-ray itself looks pretty damn good already.