First Man (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
the_red_ninja wrote:@Ruth I won't comment as I haven't seen La La Land yet, but I have seen some backlash on Twitter.
Yea. But what for really? I'm not trying to act snarky or anything, but I kind of fail to see why films like La La Land would garner much backlash lol.

Ruth wrote:
the_red_ninja wrote:@Ruth I won't comment as I haven't seen La La Land yet, but I have seen some backlash on Twitter.
Yea. But what for really? I'm not trying to act snarky or anything, but I kind of fail to see why films like La La Land would garner much backlash lol.
For example:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alisonwillmore ... -nostalgia

linking articles from Buzzfeed should be illegal

Michaelf2225 wrote:linking articles from Buzzfeed should be illegal
okay fascist.

Allstar wrote:
Ruth wrote:
For example:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alisonwillmore ... -nostalgia
well...she's not entirely wrong, but at this point then, the only solution would be to shut down the movie industry and stop making everything even slightly reminiscent of a certain historical period or event because people suffered.

or another example - i've always had a soft spot for the 40-50's aesthetic, which was well, still very misogynistic times for women to live in, does that mean I also loathe women?

EDIT: btw buzzfeed SHOULD be illegal, and not because of this article, but for lots of other shit they've done. They always try to paint themselves as very blasé or just really progressive and cool in all fields, but then turn around and churn out total crap. Some of their beauty articles or videos have made me facepalm to the moon and back holy shit. They do have some funny stuff though.
Last edited by Ruth on January 4th, 2017, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allstar wrote:
Michaelf2225 wrote:linking articles from Buzzfeed should be illegal
okay fascist.
you're right - i'm putting my foot down on this one

but in all seriousness that's not anywhere near the worst article i've ever read - it's just your average run of the mill misguided piece searching for a problem that doesn't exist

i was kinda onboard till she brought race into it

EDIT:
Ruth wrote: or another example - i've always had a soft spot for the 40-50's aesthetic, which was well, still very misogynistic times for women to live in, does that mean I also loathe women?
Buzzfeed would say you're "internally oppressed"

Seriously though, that article seems like it's trying way too hard to find something that's not there.

Michaelf2225 wrote: EDIT:
Ruth wrote: or another example - i've always had a soft spot for the 40-50's aesthetic, which was well, still very misogynistic times for women to live in, does that mean I also loathe women?
Buzzfeed would say you're "internally oppressed"

This whole thing reminded me that I'm having Lang's Woman in the Moon on my watchlist for quite some time now. Should get on that as soon as possible.£

The only thing I can't seem to figure out is how this will even come close to topping or even matching Whiplash or La La Land. Like it'll probably be great, and I don't doubt Chazelle or Gosling, but it's kind of a surprise when you think about it that this is their next project.