First Man (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Wow! How can this be so “cold” and intimate and emotional at the same time. Wanna see it again already. And cinematography... the IMAX photography is just out of this world and the score! By I need a minute.

This was fantastic. It's as if Nolan and Chazelle watched Interstellar together, followed by intimate love-making and First Man as the baby.

For real though, this was expertly made. You feel as if you're in the spacecrafts and I loved the way Chazelle and Sandgren used a combination of 16mm, 35mm and 15/70mm IMAX to tell this story. It's far more touching and tragic than I anticipated. Gosling and Foy ace it. The cinematography, the production design and the score are equally sublime. It's a real stunner, a spectacle with heart. One of the best films released this year, and it's already quite a year.

Damn I wanna see this badly.

I have reservations about the film, but the score is sublime. By far Hurwitz's best score. Reminds me of Desplat's work and JJ's Theory of Everything, another one I love. It's an instant favorite.

The soundtrack is so beautiful

Watching the movie I was like the main theme sounds familiar and then it clicked that they've used the it in the first trailer which is awesome. I agree with @anarchy, the theme definitely reminds me of Jóhann Jóhannsson's work in The Theory of Everything.

Whenever the theremin kicks in I get so emotional. One of the most beautiful instruments ever.
I went in not knowing about
Karen and it broke my heart

As much as I enjoyed the movie as it is, I wish we got to see the process of them coming back because that's probably one of the scariest this about this mission at least to me. Anyway, I can't wait to see it again.

Chazelle said they left out some big scenes they shot (like the burning down of the Armstrong house, the Apollo 8 launch) but I wonder if the landing back on Earth is one of those.

Could be but I feel like they wanted the journey to end right there. I was definitely surprised about the fire scene not being in the movie.

If I'm not mistaken those two awesome shots didn't make into the cut:

and of course the fire:

Indeed they weren't in the film. It was just so focused on Armstrong that it actually makes a lot of sense they cut some things out of it. We stay with him, and continually with Jen too, the whole time. What matters is the emotional arc and I think Chazelle and Gosling did a tremendous job with that.

Nomis wrote:
October 19th, 2018, 6:47 am
Indeed they weren't in the film. It was just so focused on Armstrong that it actually makes a lot of sense they cut some things out of it. We stay with him, and continually with Jen too, the whole time. What matters is the emotional arc and I think Chazelle and Gosling did a tremendous job with that.
leaving the bracelet there just wrecked me
Absolutely. I love how we're always feel close to everyone in the film because the camera is always so close to their faces. Very intimate.
Yes, that really had it's effect on me. I totally wasn't expecting that to happen.
the whole Karen story line definitely made the movie for me.