First Man (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
antovolk wrote:
August 29th, 2018, 9:26 am
Leaked reactions from Venice consensus - fantastic technically (cinematography, score, editing, sound apparently is intensely done) but script is too familiar.
so a Damien Chazelle film

(i love the guy)

Ace wrote:
August 29th, 2018, 11:07 am
skippinggg this trailer lol

October 11th it is!

Ended up bailing on the red carpet because the cast only got there so late, risking that I wouldn't make the screening, and I was hungry ..anyway - seated and ready - see you on the other side

first reviews are super positive in the B+ / A- range so far.

-Vader

Chazelle went and bloody did it. Really quite brilliant, manages to nail the balance of focusing on Armstrong the man and Gemini/Apollo. Those space sequences though give Howard, Nolan et al run for their money.

This may be the best Gosling performance I've seen, exuding so much in the internalised role that is Armstrong, great fit. Foy, Clarke and Chandler also great to watch.

Major props to Damien though - it would have been easy to go more traditional with the directing but this was a lot more down to earth, while not skimping (and I loved this about the space sequences) the majesty of it all. While Nolan/Interstellar influences are visible in the space sequences, Damien and Hurwitz pays even more overt homage to 2001/Kubrick and it's GLORIOUS. Amongst the Chazelle filmography it's overall quite a bit more low key and less showy than even Whiplash and La La Land, sort of back to what he had in Guy and Madeline, but this was really the best way to tackle this story, bravo to all. Now, dear cinema gods, please get me to an IMAX 70mm screening stat 🙏

Additional notes - there are a couple deleted sequences from the trailers that aren't in the film. And the score from Hurwitz. It's a lot more low key but in moments really shines. It's very reminiscent of Gravity in that mix between electronics and orchestra although there are a few fully orchestral cues that are highlights including *that* homage. Also - a bit of theremin - you think it's a solo choir voice but listen closely. What stuck out at me right away was that there is an element of the final score in the marketing - go back and watch the very first part (before the Universal logos) of the first trailer from June.... And lastly, that opening shot is iconic as hell. That is all.

All in all, this film lived up to my massive hype and then some.

antovolk wrote:
August 29th, 2018, 5:21 pm
Chazelle went and bloody did it. Really quite brilliant, manages to nail the balance of focusing on Armstrong the man and Gemini/Apollo. Those space sequences though give Howard, Nolan et al run for their money.

This may be the best Gosling performance I've seen, exuding so much in the internalised role that is Armstrong, great fit. Foy, Clarke and Chandler also great to watch.

Major props to Damien though - it would have been easy to go more traditional with the directing but this was a lot more down to earth, while not skimping (and I loved this about the space sequences) the majesty of it all. While Nolan/Interstellar influences are visible in the space sequences, Damien and Hurwitz pays even more overt homage to 2001/Kubrick and it's GLORIOUS. Amongst the Chazelle filmography it's overall quite a bit more low key and less showy than even Whiplash and La La Land, sort of back to what he had in Guy and Madeline, but this was really the best way to tackle this story, bravo to all. Now, dear cinema gods, please get me to an IMAX 70mm screening stat 🙏

Additional notes - there are a couple deleted sequences from the trailers that aren't in the film. And the score from Hurwitz. It's a lot more low key but in moments really shines. It's very reminiscent of Gravity in that mix between electronics and orchestra although there are a few fully orchestral cues that are highlights including *that* homage. Also - a bit of theremin - you think it's a solo choir voice but listen closely. What stuck out at me right away was that there is an element of the final score in the marketing - go back and watch the very first part (before the Universal logos) of the first trailer from June.... And lastly, that opening shot is iconic as hell. That is all.

could you remember the lunar sequences running time just to determine how much IMAX 70MM there is in the final cut thank you

I'm sure this is good, but has Antovolk ever disliked a film lol

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
August 29th, 2018, 5:39 pm
I'm sure this is good, but has Antovolk ever disliked a film lol
This year - Cloverfield was meh and left a bit disappointed upon reflection with Anon.

antovolk wrote:

Which cue from 2001 is homaged ?

anepicmoviereviewer wrote:
August 29th, 2018, 6:42 pm
antovolk wrote:

Which cue from 2001 is homaged ?
Blue Danube. During a docking scene
Also, remember that intense IMAX preview? The full sequence of that mission in the film is incredible and even more nuts