First Man (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
antovolk wrote:
July 28th, 2018, 5:27 pm
warhero wrote:
July 28th, 2018, 4:33 pm
antovolk wrote:
July 28th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Not really, because there is a certain aesthetic that Chazelle still imports to this from his previous films, Whiplash in particular? This is just going off that prologue though. It'll play very well on big screen for sure.

Hey Antovolk, does the scene utilize IMAX well, in the way that Dunkirk used it? Was the sequence that you saw intense in a similar way, or would you use another word to describe it?
The IMAX footage is only in the sizzle reel at the end, rest is (I believe) 16mm. Suitably claustrophobic contrasting with the IMAX stuff
Last edited by kamelgunner on July 28th, 2018, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antovolk wrote:
July 28th, 2018, 5:27 pm
warhero wrote:
July 28th, 2018, 4:33 pm
antovolk wrote:
July 28th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Not really, because there is a certain aesthetic that Chazelle still imports to this from his previous films, Whiplash in particular? This is just going off that prologue though. It'll play very well on big screen for sure.

Hey Antovolk, does the scene utilize IMAX well, in the way that Dunkirk used it? Was the sequence that you saw intense in a similar way, or would you use another word to describe it?
The IMAX footage is only in the sizzle reel at the end, rest is (I believe) 16mm. Suitably claustrophobic contrasting with the IMAX stuff
that is 35MM 2perf techniscope with very soft and flary lenses known as Camtec Ultra Primes they are based on Arri Zeiss ultra primes lenses but with modifications to obtain a very grainy and saturated image that's why it looks like super 16mm film

So did Chazelle/Sandgren use 16mm at all?

TIFF. programmer Cameron Bailey said about the movie that it is really gripping and very different from what we expect, it's a really interesting approach to the astronaut genre, it almost feels like cinema verite or dogma in the way he shoots his characters, and it's epic and gripping when it gets into the stratosphere.

Can't wait.

Nomis wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 6:51 am
So did Chazelle/Sandgren use 16mm at all?
By @Kodak_ShootFilm on Twitter:
The first trailer for #FirstMan, shot on 16mm, 35mm and 65mm by Director @DSChazelle and DP Linus Sandgren. #ShotOnFilm

^nice, I think he's used 35mm the most, IMAX then 16mm? It'll only have a couple of IMAX sequences right?

TBH, I'm pretty sure I won't see this in (Xenon) IMAX. The colors are just so lifeless and the sound is just incredibly loud. I think I'll settle for Ultra Laser (still no idea what qualifies the "Ultra" but I know their Laser projections are stellar) and Atmos sound.

Nomis wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 9:48 am
^nice, I think he's used 35mm the most, IMAX then 16mm? It'll only have a couple of IMAX sequences right?

TBH, I'm pretty sure I won't see this in (Xenon) IMAX. The colors are just so lifeless and the sound is just incredibly loud. I think I'll settle for Ultra Laser (still no idea what qualifies the "Ultra" but I know their Laser projections are stellar) and Atmos sound.
hello how are you indeed they used super 16mm film with anamorphic lenses the custom made Panavision C series made by Dan Sasaki for one scene in La La Land but not that much if i could say they included thirty to forty minutes of 65mm Imax and the rest is 35mm 2perf with super 16mm anamorphic

The IMAX footage is fantastic. Claustrophobic and intense until the sizzle towards the end.
The moon landing looks terrific.