First Man (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

It makes me kind of sad this wasn't written by Chazelle. Still excited.

I'm only in because of Damien (and reteaming with the Goose of course). A little worried this may be a bit of a sellout move from him, something that appeals to the Academy with a safe or watered down script. Hopefully Chazelle wins me over just like he did with La La Land. The dude is craaazy talented.

My boy RG

Didn't know Chazelle wasn't writing, that makes me slightly less hyped for it. But still rooting for it to be as good as Whiplash and La La Land.

Bacon wrote:It makes me kind of sad this wasn't written by Chazelle. Still excited.
not that sad since writing is the weakest part of his art (in my opinion, of course)

I might agree with you but I always root for directors to direct their own projects (in terms of ones they write). Either way, it's fine.

Chazelle revealed to Digital Spy earlier this year that the tone of First Man will be quite dark, explaining: "We're approaching it as a thriller to try to get at how insane and death-defying everything was. We live in a world now where we take it for granted that people did that in the '60s in these kinds of fly-by-wire machines before modern computers were even a thing, that we somehow sent people off to the moon and had them come back. It's trying to get at the psychology of what it takes to do something like that – the near-crazy mentality you have to have to be Neil Armstrong, to be the first man on the moon."

Okay, I was hyped before but after reading that...
I can't wait.