⊃∪∩⪽ ρ⩀⊇⊤ ⊙∩⋵ (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Dune can be a cinematic masterpiece, but if the marketing isn't done right I think it's gonna struggle earning money.

It's got all the right ingredients to become a sci-fi masterpiece, but it just has to make some serious money

I need a sequel already lol

And tbh, of all the sequels, I think the fourth one is crème de la crème sci-fi material and it would be incredible if we could see Villeneuve delve into that.

Nomis wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Then I hope they got $100 million as a budget for this film, max

As for 2049, didn't it end up breaking even with home sales? Still not a situation I'd want to see for Dune though.
It did rather similarly to Covenant. But these are only physical sale figures in the domestic market.

https://m.the-numbers.com/movie/Blade-Runner-2049

https://m.the-numbers.com/movie/Alien-Covenant

Doesn't seem like any of them are going to get a sequel any time soon. Even though Covenant had a relatively lower budget.£

So you could argue that 2049 did break even... Considering it doesn't give us the numbers of the worldwide home sales and that has got to count for some millions of dollars

I don't really mind the fact that there won't be a sequel to Covenant anytime soon tho lol

Nomis wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 12:56 pm
So you could argue that 2049 did break even... Considering it doesn't give us the numbers of the worldwide home sales and that has got to count for some millions of dollars

I don't really mind the fact that there won't be a sequel to Covenant anytime soon tho lol
between sales and syndication, 2049 will break even at some point but nomis

movies want to make like, a big profit

-Vader

yeah I know lol

it's just that I wondered how much this has to make in order to at least break even, let alone make as much of a profit as possible, which I really hope it does of course

Vader is correct in that 2049 might prove to be a beloved classic in the years to come and repeat what the original managed to do in terms of late profit making. However generally speaking, breaking even is a term applied to productions that gross about 2.5-3.5x their pb (varies depending on the domestic/overseas share of the gross). And that means, that they can make small profits, after home market release or at least minimise the losses to a small amount.

2049 grossed 1.6x its production budget theatrically. Pay attention that more than half of the gross will belong to the theater owners, and what is left not only has to cover $150M worth of pb, but an addition of typically similar amount for marketing budget.£

that makes me plain sad

I guess we should just be lucky that this first part is actually getting made and hope for the best, box office wise

Master Virgo wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 5:09 pm
Vader is correct in that 2049 might prove to be a beloved classic in the years to come and repeat what the original managed to do in terms of late profit making. However generally speaking, breaking even is a term applied to productions that gross about 2.5-3.5x their pb (varies depending on the domestic/overseas share of the gross). And that means, that they can make small profits, after home market release or at least minimise the losses to a small amount.

2049 grossed 1.6x its production budget theatrically. Pay attention that more than half of the gross will belong to the theater owners, and what is left not only has to cover $150M worth of pb, but an addition of typically similar amount for marketing budget.£
YES! It's so sad that so many people don't understand this. There will be no sequel to BR2049, people need to get over that. And considering the original, it wasn't a surprise how much this one made. To me it was always bound to be a bomb. It only made so much because it was actually pretty good.

And again, studios don't care about long-term breaking even. They want to make money NOW. Dune is another project likely to bomb... HARD.

As a reader, I always imagined it as a TV show with a huge budget, a'la Game of Thrones. The books are just too dense and the world too rich for it to work as a movie.

The mini-series that have been made are pretty bad. Better VFX isn't going to improve anything. I'm glad we're getting a feature film adaptation and not another shot at it for TV.