Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 3:53 am

posting this for broad reasons not specific ones
god this is video is so early 2000s it shocks me

So, I wanted to like this, especially cuz I thought Homecoming was so fresh and unassumingly entertaining.

Actually thought this was quite poor.

It totally undoes the good faith and personality set up for this character and this interpretation of the Spiderverse. So much of this film grabs you by the collar and explains the story to you. It makes for a very anti-fun experience.

It also lacks the wit and humor of Homecoming. Martin Starr and JB Smoove are in this as comic relief, but end up being a pointless and cringey distraction and totally seemed like they were written in last minute.

There's a twist that's interesting and strangely in keeping with the characters, but the way it's revealed and told is so fucking stupidly hamfisted and unnecessarily expository. The concept is intriguing but the execution is horrible and nearly ruined the film for me.

Totally undoes the tone established in Endgame. Feels like an insult to the characters.

The effects look almost ugly in some parts. Doesn't look like a film released in 2019.

Gyllenhaal feels wasted. Holland was the MVP. Not much else to write home about.

Doesn't advance the overall Avengers plot much, and the post credits scenes are frankly ridiculous and make this convoluted universe seem like a parody of itself.

I'd rank this down near films like Thor 2 and the worst parts of Iron Man 3.

This is great. Especially the last half. MUCH stronger than Homecoming.

-Vader

Cilogy wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 12:45 am
So, I wanted to like this, especially cuz I thought Homecoming was so fresh and unassumingly entertaining.

It totally undoes the good faith and personality set up for this character and this interpretation of the Spiderverse. So much of this film grabs you by the collar and explains the story to you. It makes for a very anti-fun experience.

It also lacks the wit and humor of Homecoming. Martin Starr and JB Smoove are in this as comic relief, but end up being a pointless and cringey distraction and totally seemed like they were written in last minute.

There's a twist that's interesting and strangely in keeping with the characters, but the way it's revealed and told is so fucking stupidly hamfisted and unnecessarily expository. The concept is intriguing but the execution is horrible and nearly ruined the film for me.

Totally undoes the tone established in Endgame. Feels like an insult to the characters.

The effects look almost ugly in some parts. Doesn't look like a film released in 2019.

Gyllenhaal feels wasted. Holland was the MVP. Not much else to write home about.

Doesn't advance the overall Avengers plot much, and the post credits scenes are frankly ridiculous and make this convoluted universe seem like a parody of itself.

Perfect review. It's really bad, and I'm baffled by all of the good reviews. The only thing that saves this movie are the special effect fights.

Cilogy wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 12:45 am

Vader182 wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 1:50 am
This is great. Especially the last half. MUCH stronger than Homecoming.

-Vader

I could not disagree more with every single thing Cilogy posted. This is a movie about inheriting responsibility you didn't ask for, and living up to the memory of those who you have lost. It's about discovering growing up is as much about what you should do verses what you would like to. These are classic Spider-Man themes, and explores them with some depth. It is surprisingly emotional.

Some of the setpieces are completely unlike anything in the MCU (or CBM period), and fabulously done. I saw this on a massive Dolby screen, and the VFX are largely terrific. Confused how anyone can suggest otherwise. I still hate how weightless MCU web-slinging tends to be, but it's still a huge improvement on Homecoming.

There's a slow start, but the back half is nonstop terrific. Easily in the top 10 MCU movies.

-Vader

Cilogy v Vader: Dawn of Reviews

Can’t wait to see this, probably tomorrow!

Edit: Is Mysterio proper? Naturally, love Jake. But you knowwhatimean. ;)

how's Zendaya's performance ?

The themes and Peter's development was okay, I don't have major qualms about it. They want to show a fallout for these characters after Endgame, so I guess the best they could do is sorta repackage Iron Man 3 into a Spider-Man film.

I am honestly surprised to see a lack of criticism on the fact that much of this film tells the story at you rather than showing it. I can't think of a Marvel film so far that does this more.

A lot of it comes from Gyllenhaal's character's backstory, and I can't say more than that without spoilers. It also immediately dissolves any chance at deepening his character.
I guess they had him channel his character from Nightcrawler a bit; an initially unassuming and likable, but ultimately violently ambitious guy.
It's comes across as surprisingly lazy exposition for a franchise that purports fun first.

The VFX is spectacular for the illusion scenes, but that's about it. I mean that whole Venice action piece looks straight up schlocky, and there's often too much going on during shots in the third act.
Last edited by Cilogy on July 3rd, 2019, 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

It doesn't "tell" rather than "show." Gyllenhaal himself, his performance, and the tonal changes that go along with it, is the show. He is amazing. It's one of the best performances in a CBM. The whole scene you're talking about is one of the best in the movie.

-Vader