Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
m4st4 wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 9:50 am
New trailer soon?
Tomorrow?

Numbers wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 1:39 pm
m4st4 wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 9:50 am
New trailer soon?
Tomorrow?
In Antovolk I trust, but supposedly not until after End Game.

Don't really like that suit tbh

I just re-watched Spider-Man 2 again. Holly molly, I forgot how great it was. Actually, after comparing it to some of the more recent superhero movies, it stands out even better now because of how sincere it is. Nowadays, a superhero movie will always try to undercut its emotional moment with a cheap laugh. Raimi's Spider-Man films don't do that. Nor did Nolan's Batman. Which is what makes them so special to me. Anyway, back to the topic... I think this film will be Homecoming 2.0. Not in the sense that it's a sequel (well, because it is, duh!), but in the sense that it's going to be of the same quality. Most people will like it, it will make money, but it won't be as impactful and emotional as the aforementioned Spider-Man 2. From the story synopsis and trailers, it looks like it will be another big MCU movie with a story we already saw before, ton of jokes, and some emotional moments placed here and there. It doesn't seem like it has a focus. Same thing for Homecoming. When you watch Spider-Man 2 or Batman Begins, the best examples of character-driven storytelling in superhero movies, you know exactly what the movie aims at. With Homecoming, I didn't feel that.

Batman's Batman wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 3:22 pm
I just re-watched Spider-Man 2 again. Holly molly, I forgot how great it was. Actually, after comparing it to some of the more recent superhero movies, it stands out even better now because of how sincere it is. Nowadays, a superhero movie will always try to undercut its emotional moment with a cheap laugh. Raimi's Spider-Man films don't do that. Nor did Nolan's Batman. Which is what makes them so special to me. Anyway, back to the topic... I think this film will be Homecoming 2.0. Not in the sense that it's a sequel (well, because it is, duh!), but in the sense that it's going to be of the same quality. Most people will like it, it will make money, but it won't be as impactful and emotional as the aforementioned Spider-Man 2. From the story synopsis and trailers, it looks like it will be another big MCU movie with a story we already saw before, ton of jokes, and some emotional moments placed here and there. It doesn't seem like it has a focus. Same thing for Homecoming. When you watch Spider-Man 2 or Batman Begins, the best examples of character-driven storytelling in superhero movies, you know exactly what the movie aims at. With Homecoming, I didn't feel that.
Spider-man 2 reminds you that once upon a time marvel movies were, you know, real movies. It's a masterpiece.

-Vader

So you’re saying Black Panther, Guardians and Winter Soldier are not “real movies”... lmao.This is why you rub some the wrong way at times.

Allstar wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 5:13 pm
So you’re saying Black Panther, Guardians and Winter Soldier are not “real movies”... lmao.This is why you rub some the wrong way at times.
They're not entirely, at least in the sense I mean. They lack authorship, they don't use style or craft to tell the story completely, they're mostly flatly lit (yes even Guardians), the scores are mostly generic and buried in the sound mix, and, of course, the third acts all devolve into CGI overload.

I like all of those specifically a ton though. I've watched WS a zillion times, but I'm not unaware of the Marvelosity of the thing. At best, they're kind of exceptions that prove the rule.

surprised this is even a controversial take, doesn't everyone think this way?

-Vader

I get Guardians 1 complaints, I literally don't remember the third act of the film and what happens in it. But Guardians 2 felt 100% Gunn. And Ragnarok felt 80-90% Waititi at least. These are by far the two MCU films with the most authorship I think.

Black Panther's third act is one of the most generic in the entire MCU. Fight me.

MCU movies have got nothing on Spiderman 2. Not even the good ones. It is still my second favorite superhero movie of all time. I recently met the editor of the film in a conference,and probably experienced one of my only geek moments in this lifetime.

Even if your points are mostly accurate Vader (I agree with NowWherewasI points though, I’m not as harsh on the first Guardians 3rd act (“We Aden groot” cmon... but I do prefer Vol. 2) they’re still “real movies”. I agree, Spider-Man 2 is more proper cinema but you can say it like that rather than shitting on movies that you enjoy and some quite a lot. Guardians movies particularly are hell of real movies to me.