Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Italian classic. :D 🕷

Master Virgo wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 12:50 pm
Well, I mean sure, Luke also got another hand, Han Solo was saved and Vader fulfilled the prophecy and brought balance to the force. But at the end of the day, Empire's ending still packs a punch. Hopefully Endgame is more satisfying than Return of the Jedi was though.£
I understand what you're saying, but on the other hand, the original SW trilogy didn't have separate franchises revolving around the characters of the film going on at the same time, for years. It was a closed trilogy, and that's it. Like Lord of the Rings, characters could easily die or get hurt for good, because it was a closed story (at that time). Or take the TDK-trilogy, same deal: it was clear that it was its own universe. Because of this, the ending of the 2nd movie packs a punch: you really have no idea how they can pick the pieces up from that point.

Another problem is that even the SW universe didn't have magical artifacts that can literally change time, space and everything, let alone the TDK-trilogy or the Lord of the Rings-trilogy. There were clear limits to what can be done in those universes. In the MCU there are literally no limits established.

So it's really a clumsy mess that we have an open movie universe with countless bombastic franchises where we have not one but several reality changing artifacts - no wonder everyone is skeptic of this snap thing in Infinity War.

m4st4 wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 1:37 pm
Master Virgo wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 12:50 pm
Well, I mean sure, Luke also got another hand, Han Solo was saved and Vader fulfilled the prophecy and brought balance to the force. But at the end of the day, Empire's ending still packs a punch. Hopefully Endgame is more satisfying than Return of the Jedi was though.£
Implies that Infinite War ending packs a similarly memorable/culturally important punch as Empire?🕷
Clearly not on that level. But the point of comparison is that, an uplifting conclusion does not all by itself, nullify an effectively harrowing and melancholic middle. All those classic Disney films still haunted us, despite the utterly fairy tale happy endings.

If anything is to be to criticised, it's the build up to it and ultimately the execution of that middle act, not what's going to happen after.

Like I have my issues with the ending of Rises, and how it doesn't quite sit well with what is established before it, in the trilogy, but that does not put the blame on The Dark Knight. Again by no means that implies, that Infinity is anywhere near the level of Nolan's masterpiece.£

somehow Far From Home feels obsolete after Into the Spider-Verse

-Vader

Yeah, this does not seem to manage to be anything more than 'meh' on the mediocrity scale.

Vader182 wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 4:31 pm

-Vader
Disagree. The live action/animation can do such different things that both can happily co-exist for me.

Vader182 wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 4:31 pm

-Vader
ive only seen a few recent marvel films but they all feel like they're treading water compared to spider verse

I thought the trailer was pretty cute tbh. But after Spider-Verse, it does feel like a lot of comic book movies can't even hold a candle to it.

Looks like a really cool movie from 2006.

“Oh, interesting, he’s gonna be forced to confront how he can be a hero as Peter Parker - without his suit...”

30 Seconds Later

“Oh, nevermind, Nick Fury’s just gonna show up and give him his suit! Silly me, expecting something character-pushing...”