Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
spider-man: back to manhometten

This is still a bad move

Bacon wrote:
June 24th, 2018, 1:41 pm
This is still a bad move
No offense, but why? Spidey spending some time abroad is nothing new and if they spend their chips right this might surpass the alrighty-ness of Homecoming. Especially if rumored Gylenhaal is indeed Mysterio.

One of Homcoming's biggest strengths was the smaller-scale and how refreshing it was to actually focus on a "neighborhood-friendly Spider-Man" especially in the context of the MCU where every film has to have giant stakes. The fact that Homecoming's third act is essentially Peter just stopping a robber is pretty great and I'm worried Sony/Marvel's going to take away one of the defining characteristics of Homecoming that made it work so well. Just my initial thoughts; Gylenhaal aside.

Shoulda named it Spider-Man: Spring Break.

Bacon wrote:
June 24th, 2018, 2:48 pm
One of Homcoming's biggest strengths was the smaller-scale and how refreshing it was to actually focus on a "neighborhood-friendly Spider-Man" especially in the context of the MCU where every film has to have giant stakes. The fact that Homecoming's third act is essentially Peter just stopping a robber is pretty great and I'm worried Sony/Marvel's going to take away one of the defining characteristics of Homecoming that made it work so well. Just my initial thoughts; Gylenhaal aside.
I can understand that. That perfect balance with Spidey is difficult to achieve. But luckily, as a character, he’s pretty stretchable. I know we probably won’t even witness it with this iteration but you can go straight dark with the concept and still remain true to its core. I feel like Raimi’s two, Homecoming and aspects of TASM movies worked pretty good so far, as long as they don’t forget who’s in the suit it could end up being pretty interesting. But again I can understand your issue in relation to Homecoming, I adored how basic the finale was.

how people manage to have strong opinions about content that we know almost literally nothing about continues to vex and amaze me

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
June 24th, 2018, 6:26 pm
how people manage to have strong opinions about content that we know almost literally nothing about continues to vex and amaze me

-Vader
The content could always change my mind later on. I'm not saying it can't. I don't see how it's unreasonable to be disappointed at the choices they could be making; I don't even have strong opinions on it, it's just my initial reaction to the news.

If Nolan had come out and said in 2011 that TDKR would be about Bruce retiring from being Batman to join the Moscow ballet, I wouldn't know anything about that content but it'd certainly elicit a reaction from me.

let artists create and don't try to conform every decision they make to your preconceptions

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
June 24th, 2018, 6:41 pm
let artists create and don't try to conform every decision they make to your preconceptions

-Vader
Oops. My bad for caring about the character and having an opinion on a direction they're taking the series. I'll be sure to just numbly respond to everything from here on out /s

Me and m4 were getting each other and having a civil conversation about why we like Spidey, and you're making it sound like we're wronging the film by talking about our initial thoughts of the premise/title. No offense but that's just a tad absurd to complain about.