Controversial Opinions About Movies Part II

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Now Where Was I ? wrote:
April 11th, 2018, 7:44 pm
Being blown off the screen by DDL was inevitable just by the nature of the characters.
Also, you know, it's DDL.

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
April 11th, 2018, 7:44 pm
Leo is great and not miscast in GoNY (I'd say the only time Scorsese miscast him was Aviator). Being blown off the screen by DDL was inevitable just by the nature of the characters.

Diaz sucked though

Terrific epic film anyway
He’s good in it, not great. He’s brilliant in Aviator.

GONY is a bit shit tbh, but oddly enough I think it would have made great TV. The best thing about it is its immersion and infrastructure. The core story is bleh

Late Spielberg >>>>>

Schindler's List aside, I'd put Lincoln, Bridge Of Spies, and The Post above everything else he has done.

Say what you will about this movie, but this music is fucking incredible. One of the best themes of the 2000's so far.

I fucking love Van Helsing I don't even feel guilty about it

Burn after Reading is the funniest Coen Bros movie.

Just rewatched it and I can't stop laughing each time. Pitt, Malkovich and Simmons are just gold in it. And everyone else is great

Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
I 100% agree. While I can't say it is definitively the best Coen Brothers movie, it is by far my favorite by them. Hopefully one day people will view this as the absurd masterpiece that it is.

I hated Rogue One, really hated it. I'm not that into Star Wars (LOTR generation here, yo), but I've seen the films and I like the new trilogy (maybe that's a controversial opinion in itself). To me Rogue One is a lazy, pretentious and overall bad film and I'm baffled by all the positive reviews and opinions regarding it. It's also deliberately destroying Star Wars lore by showing what has happened literally seconds before New Hope started. I just don't enjoy this type of fan service, I think it's dumb and unintelligent. CGI resurrection of old characters just for the sake of it is also very childish in my eyes - there's no reason whatsoever why they couldn't cast new actors in the roles of the old characters. I've seen it once in cinema and I didn't like the film at all, then I gave it a chance and bought it on Blu-ray, still, I couldn't stand it. Of course I have to point out that the Darth Vader scene in itself is mind-blowing (the one where he fights), but other than that, to me, it's worthless.

DHOPW42 wrote:
August 1st, 2018, 3:54 am
I hated Rogue One, really hated it. I'm not that into Star Wars (LOTR generation here, yo), but I've seen the films and I like the new trilogy (maybe that's a controversial opinion in itself). To me Rogue One is a lazy, pretentious and overall bad film and I'm baffled by all the positive reviews and opinions regarding it. It's also deliberately destroying Star Wars lore by showing what has happened literally seconds before New Hope started. I just don't enjoy this type of fan service, I think it's dumb and unintelligent. CGI resurrection of old characters just for the sake of it is also very childish in my eyes - there's no reason whatsoever why they couldn't cast new actors in the roles of the old characters. I've seen it once in cinema and I didn't like the film at all, then I gave it a chance and bought it on Blu-ray, still, I couldn't stand it. Of course I have to point out that the Darth Vader scene in itself is mind-blowing (the one where he fights), but other than that, to me, it's worthless.
I think it only adds to the mythology by putting the story just minutes before New Hope starts. In terms of what it adds it's three things:
1. the explanation of the Death Star's 'convenient' weakness
2. making Leia even tougher by showing us Vader clearly knows that the rebel plans are on the ship and she's just lying to the second most powerful sith's face
3. showcases Vader skill like we've never seen before
So as an idea for a "side film", it's not bad.

In terms of storytelling it is a bit of a mess, tough, and the first 2/3 of the movie are BORING as hell upon rewatch. I like some secondary characters like Cassian, Baze and Chirrut but the main character and villain and their arc are a mess.