Controversial Opinions About Movies Part II

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ArmandFancypants wrote:I would understand the criticism if TOD hadn't done the hard yards to establish that is has no connection to reality whatsoever...

If they were making Nike shoes I might wince.
I mean the guy who made the movie thought it was "too horrific" so it's not like this concept is from left field.

Forum Pro
Law
Hancock, a film known for its flaws, has some of the best composed music that plays in the beginning and end of the movie.

Both which happen to be the best parts.

Revenge of the Sith is my favorite franchise film of this century.

Is Paul W. S. Anderson like one of the worst directors or what?

disliking a character's personality or disagreeing with the choices they make is not grounds to deem a film bad
to clarify i'm not referring to 'hey let's split up in this haunted house' unrealistic choices that fall under the umbrella of poor writing.
and yes, it is grounds to personally dislike a film, as humans are nothing more than walking talking biases as far as i can tell

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:disliking a character's personality or disagreeing with the choices they make is not grounds to deem a film bad
to clarify i'm not referring to 'hey let's split up in this haunted house' unrealistic choices that fall under the umbrella of poor writing.
and yes, it is grounds to personally dislike a film, as humans are nothing more than walking talking biases as far as i can tell
What if the filmmaker sides with a character whose moral choices are dubious at best? Isn't that grounds for disliking a movie?

It depends. If the central characters become annoying I blame the filmmakers. This is one of the reasons why I prefer Better Call Saul to Breaking Bad, even though the latter has higher highs. Mike and Saul are fascinating anti heroes, Walter and Jesse were interesting to watch for the most part, but for a good portion of the show they also verged on being obnoxious. There came a time I felt very detached from the two. For me what kept the show afloat was the terrific set of supporting characters rather than the two leads.£

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:disliking a character's personality or disagreeing with the choices they make is not grounds to deem a film bad
Don't tell this to red letter media!

There's probably a distinction to be made here between "disagreeing with the choices they make" and "disagreeing with the stupid decisions they make" that has a more of a fine gradient than a haunted house split up or handing a loaded gun to a four-year-old.

I agree obviously, but it's worth pointing out that creating characters who make choices you can't personally understnad or empathize with, when the GOAL of the movie is to create that connection, is probably cause to call a film bad. Obviously there's a million examples where characters are meant to be opaque or problematic, ala PTAs movies or something.

Personally, if characters make too many outright stupid decisions with emotional logic and the plot/narrative/themes hinge on that lapse of judgement, personally I check out. I've posted many examples, but one of them is how in Pan's Labryinth the two people with the rabits never pointed to the bag saying "but fo real real, look at my hunting bag" and instead let themselves become victims of their own inability to state an obvious fact that would've let them off the hook (potentially). It's like being pulled over by a real bullish cop and your proof of insurance isn't in your wallet it's in your glove compartment but you're too scared to look there and let yourself get a ticket. Only times a million in intensity since it's life or death. I have to on some level understand how and why a person is the way they're written in a story for me to care about 'em.

-Vader