Controversial Opinions About Movies Part II

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Somewhere between the weird racism and the living sacrifice and the half naked child slave labor camp I sort of struggle to get into the zippy fun factor of the movie.

The sexism/racism criticism against Temple are utter nonsense. Also I don't understand how the threatening situation in the middle of a film might interfere with you having fun with all the slapsticks later on. It's like saying I didn't have fun with Star Wars because at some point a guy cut another guy's hand and he was in grave pain or because I saw some old creepy fella who was torturing the other fella with high voltage electricity.

The fact that the situation becomes really serious in the second act of Temple is exactly why it's my favourite Indy film.£

but the half naked child slave labor camp is the setting of a fun whiz bang set piece

The... liberation of the child labour camp is home to the set piece

ArmandFancypants wrote:The... liberation of the child labour camp is home to the set piece
Yeah but that's like a super weird and unnerving place to have a good ole' fun time at the movies right after watching a living guy have his heart taken out. The whole thing shocked me so much as a kid that I wasn't even sure what I was watching, and now as an adult it just seems like an unsettling tonal mesh that I still can't get around with a couple drinks in me. I dunno, it's the peak of creepy and disturbing to me with fun Speilbergy set piece on top of it, and it strikes me as off-putting no matter how many times I revisit it with fresh eyes.

I too can't think of a more fun setting than child slavery. Other than maybe having a fist fight through an actual holocaust gas chamber. Missed opportunity on Lucas' part :(.

-Vader

There was one time I remember Spielberg was at fault with such a thing and that was when he made a set piece with Tom Cruise trying to escape some bad guys in Minority Report and things turned out as this Indiana Jonsey fun chase which had no business in a serious thriller such as that.

I'm not quite sure if I understand C8's argument. Should we take no joy from Robin Hood (The Disney film I mean) because of all those poor little animals suffering in prison.

Now there is no denying that the shift of tone in Temple is rather strange but I see that as a positive thing. I'm not sure how much of the weirdness was intentional from Spielberg and Lucas, or maybe they were just trying to emulate the Empire's formula here and wandered off a bit, but the end result is nonetheless very satisfying. There is this sadistic Lewis Carollish humour that makes me laugh uncontrollably. It's such an odd and unforgettable film.£

The two best performances of this decade both came from Natalie Portman.

I would understand the criticism if TOD hadn't done the hard yards to establish that is has no connection to reality whatsoever...

If they were making Nike shoes I might wince.

Master Virgo wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:Phoenix was perfect. :(
I would have watched that Young Indiana Jones series if he was in it.£
:cry: :cry: :cry: