Controversial Opinions About Movies Part II

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

There's still 3 pages left man. Way to try hard to be the first post. :lol:

New thread who dis lol

Thread title ideas:

Controversial Opinions: the movies
More Controversial Opinions about Movies Part II

Or keeping the current one: Controversial Opinions About Movies Part II

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk had the best scene of 2016.
The aftermath of Vin Diesel's death and Billy's struggle with his killer, Garrett Hedlund runs in, exclaiming, "I fucking knew it would be you. I'm so fucking proud of you." That single moment contains such a delicate balance between intense sorrow and immense pride. It's so difficult to switch tones on a dime in cinema, but to express two polar opposite emotions simultaneously is near impossible. That scene accomplishes it in outstanding fashion.

hey Indy 4 isn't actually that bad

k bye

^ True.
Jedisunscreen wrote:Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk had the best scene of 2016.
The aftermath of Vin Diesel's death and Billy's struggle with his killer, Garrett Hedlund runs in, exclaiming, "I fucking knew it would be you. I'm so fucking proud of you." That single moment contains such a delicate balance between intense sorrow and immense pride. It's so difficult to switch tones on a dime in cinema, but to express two polar opposite emotions simultaneously is near impossible. That scene accomplishes it in outstanding fashion.
How was the film overall?£

Master Virgo wrote:^ True.
Jedisunscreen wrote:Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk had the best scene of 2016.
How was the film overall?£
It's a mixed bag. Certain scenes are deeply felt and genuine, and other narrative avenues are completely baffling.

Michaelf2225 wrote:hey Indy 4 isn't actually that bad

k bye
Cate Blanchett's Irina Spalko is the second best Indy villain behind Belloq, and it helps that her Russian is quite solid.

what are we even talking about here KOTCS is appalling and fails on a BASIC level, i.e. there is not even a vague whiff of danger for 90% of the runtime and there's all manner of extraneous characters tagging along for the ride, including Oxley, Mac, and Marion.

What is Spalko even about? You don't have Paul Freeman's knowing smarm or Amrish Puri's wild unhinged histrionics, there's a very vague sorta mind reading shenanigans thing that goes on and then she'll pull out the sword and that's uh, scary. Shit, even Donovan is just plain unpleasant and arrogant, she doesn't even have that

Keeping the nature of the "power" a mystery is one of the most major critical errors that the film makes. We don't know what anyone is striving towards so the "knowledge was their treasure" is a reversal of nothing. Ark = Invincibility in battle, Stones = fertility and life, Grail = everlasting life, Skull = ?

Couple that with the sickly, very much not Doug Slocombe look that the film has and gee whiz, I don't understand how anyone can find anything to like that isn't contributed by John Williams (an underrated effort, he provides character where the script does not), Harrison Ford, Michael Kahn or, arguably, Shia who does nothing wrong.