Controversial Opinions About Movies Part II

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 2:10 am
i love Interstellar (I called it a masterpiece on first viewing), but it's undeniably a bullishly erratic movie in tone, pace and style so I can hardly fault critics, who tend to look for formal skill and control before anything else.

But if it makes you feel better, a bunch of major critics have warmed to Interstellar since release and it still has an 8.6 on IMDB.

i think dunkirk's going to be remembered as his magnum opus in the future though (barring any subsequent such films)

-Vader
It’s easily his most sentimental film so maybe that’s what he was going for in terms of tone. It worked for me and I think Nolan has demonstrated time and again that he can meet those standards of control, whatever that means, so he has earned the right and space to be unconventional. No current filmmaker comes close to Nolan when it comes to pushing boundaries and in order to do that he has to make some minor stretches like Gotham only having a few thousand police officers so that the finale can have a plausible looking battle rather than not having a battle at all. These little logical sacrifices are worth the payoff.

dafox wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 1:16 am
I thought that Interstellar over Dunkirk would be controversial given the critical reactions to both films. Dunkirk was best picture worthy, its just not as good as most of Nolan's filmography and sadly I think critical opinion has had too much of an influence on all of us. According to the academy Spellbound was one of Hitchcock's best films, which is a laughable idea that can be best explained by the academy's desperate need to be seen as the true film connoisseurs. Only a true intellectual wannabe could be dazzled by the cringe inducing "intellectual" masturbation of that movie. They're too stuck up, insecure and shallow to give TDK, TDKR, and Interstellar the acclaim that they deserved.
The Academy is about how it wants to represent the industry, hence Spellbounds nomination haul (in a weak year) as Hitch's stateside capital had grown significantly, and it would be seen as a progressive film at the time.

dafox wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 2:26 am
Vader182 wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 2:10 am
i love Interstellar (I called it a masterpiece on first viewing), but it's undeniably a bullishly erratic movie in tone, pace and style so I can hardly fault critics, who tend to look for formal skill and control before anything else.

But if it makes you feel better, a bunch of major critics have warmed to Interstellar since release and it still has an 8.6 on IMDB.

i think dunkirk's going to be remembered as his magnum opus in the future though (barring any subsequent such films)

-Vader
It’s easily his most sentimental film so maybe that’s what he was going for in terms of tone. It worked for me and I think Nolan has demonstrated time and again that he can meet those standards of control, whatever that means, so he has earned the right and space to be unconventional. No current filmmaker comes close to Nolan when it comes to pushing boundaries and in order to do that he has to make some minor stretches like Gotham only having a few thousand police officers so that the finale can have a plausible looking battle rather than not having a battle at all. These little logical sacrifices are worth the payoff.
I think that Interstellar will be easily more fondly remembered than Dunkirk. Hell, I don't really see Dunkirk being talked about already compared to Interstellar which people are still discovering and still analyzing.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 4:11 am
dafox wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 1:16 am
I thought that Interstellar over Dunkirk would be controversial given the critical reactions to both films. Dunkirk was best picture worthy, its just not as good as most of Nolan's filmography and sadly I think critical opinion has had too much of an influence on all of us. According to the academy Spellbound was one of Hitchcock's best films, which is a laughable idea that can be best explained by the academy's desperate need to be seen as the true film connoisseurs. Only a true intellectual wannabe could be dazzled by the cringe inducing "intellectual" masturbation of that movie. They're too stuck up, insecure and shallow to give TDK, TDKR, and Interstellar the acclaim that they deserved.
The Academy is about how it wants to represent the industry, hence Spellbounds nomination haul (in a weak year) as Hitch's stateside capital had grown significantly, and it would be seen as a progressive film at the time.
Wanting to represent the industry a certain way isn't incompatible with the cultural preening that I've accused them of. They wanted to show that film has caught up with the cocktail party/parlor game fad that was the naive psychoanalysis portrayed in the film. Its a curious kind of progressivism since a bunch of well to do people trying to impress their peers with overly fancy but equally false/ridiculous interpretations of social events wasn't anything new even back then. Tolstoy makes fun of this aristocratic/connoisseur cliche in the opening ball of War and Peace. Rewarding social capital has nothing to do with/runs counter to merit and its the reason why filmmakers like Nolan and Kubrick are never rewarded for their trailblazing.

you should post more

-Vader

I would if it didn't keep my brain up at night. Now I want to go watch something and I'll be dead all day tomorrow/today.

is that why i can never sleep

-Vader

Being a nerd has its price.

dafox wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 5:09 am
Wanting to represent the industry a certain way isn't incompatible with the cultural preening that I've accused them of. They wanted to show that film has caught up with the cocktail party/parlor game fad that was the naive psychoanalysis portrayed in the film. Its a curious kind of progressivism since a bunch of well to do people trying to impress their peers with overly fancy but equally false/ridiculous interpretations of social events wasn't anything new even back then. Tolstoy makes fun of this aristocratic/connoisseur cliche in the opening ball of War and Peace. Rewarding social capital has nothing to do with/runs counter to merit and its the reason why filmmakers like Nolan and Kubrick are never rewarded for their trailblazing.
It's entirely compatible and that's precisely what AMPAS is. We are in agreement. See also that year's winner, or in fact all subsequent winners for the rest of the decade's Best Picture award (including Hamlet). AMPAS crowning an actually good film does happen surprisingly frequently, but it's a happy accident rather than a genuine badge of indisputable merit.

It's just an odd thing to be riled by. For what it's worth at least two of Spellbound's co-losers are highly professional pure pop entertainments that are light on serious agenda.

I probably got riled up over it because as a Hitchcock lover Spellbound is one of, if not, the weakest of the dozen films of his that I've seen. I don't reflexively dismiss all attempts at pop psychoanalysis but this was so ham handed that everyone involved must have been so up their own asses that I can't not bring it up. At least the academy got Rebecca right. Its not even Ingrid Bergman's most psychological film since Gaslight was actually great.