Controversial Opinions About Movies Part II

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ChristNolan wrote:
November 21st, 2018, 12:24 pm
I still haven’t seen 2049. Partly because of sheer laziness, but mostly because the thought of a sequel still irks me to this day. Forgive me Denis
pussy

ChristNolan wrote:
November 21st, 2018, 12:24 pm
I still haven’t seen 2049. Partly because of sheer laziness, but mostly because the thought of a sequel still irks me to this day. Forgive me Denis

You are not forgiven

Interstellar (2014) > The Handmaiden (2016) > Ex Machina (2015) > Dunkirk (2017)

I would put Annihilation last but 2018 is an embarrassing two horse race for me and Natalie Portman vs. Dick Cheney, even if he's played by my favorite actor, isn't much of a contest when I'm the judge. I haven't seen Interstellar or Dunkirk since the theater but I feel pretty settled on how I feel about them. I hope Dunkirk will grow on me in a similar way that Memento did, which was huge because I didn't really love it at first but to this day I think its Nolan's best written film. What a downhill career for the Kubrick wannabe.

Tarantino is the obvious favorite to win for my best of this year.

dafox wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 7:17 am
Interstellar (2014) > The Handmaiden (2016) > Ex Machina (2015) > Dunkirk (2017)

I would put Annihilation last but 2018 is an embarrassing two horse race for me and Natalie Portman vs. Dick Cheney, even if he's played by my favorite actor, isn't much of a contest when I'm the judge. I haven't seen Interstellar or Dunkirk since the theater but I feel pretty settled on how I feel about them. I hope Dunkirk will grow on me in a similar way that Memento did, which was huge because I didn't really love it at first but to this day I think its Nolan's best written film. What a downhill career for the Kubrick wannabe.

Tarantino is the obvious favorite to win for my best of this year.
That’s not controversial for me at all. That’s exactly how I’d rank them. I wouldn’t necessarily put the last three as my favorites of their respective years but Interstellar is EASILY my number one. For me the last five years are:
Interstellar > Inside Out > Logan > La La Land > A Quiet Place

Dunkirk
Silence
Carol
Interstellar
Gravity
Looper
Drive
Inception

2018 is so far a tie between You Were Never Really Here and Annihilation.£

Idk I feel like people aren't giving Fifty Shades Freed a fair shot

I thought that Interstellar over Dunkirk would be controversial given the critical reactions to both films. Dunkirk was best picture worthy, its just not as good as most of Nolan's filmography and sadly I think critical opinion has had too much of an influence on all of us. According to the academy Spellbound was one of Hitchcock's best films, which is a laughable idea that can be best explained by the academy's desperate need to be seen as the true film connoisseurs. Only a true intellectual wannabe could be dazzled by the cringe inducing "intellectual" masturbation of that movie. They're too stuck up, insecure and shallow to give TDK, TDKR, and Interstellar the acclaim that they deserved.

dafox wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 1:16 am
I thought that Interstellar over Dunkirk would be controversial given the critical reactions to both films. Dunkirk was best picture worthy, its just not as good as most of Nolan's filmography and sadly I think critical opinion has had too much of an influence on all of us. According to the academy Spellbound was one of Hitchcock's best films, which is a laughable idea that can be best explained by the academy's desperate need to be seen as the true film connoisseurs. Only a true intellectual wannabe could be dazzled by the cringe inducing "intellectual" masturbation of that movie. They're too stuck up, insecure and shallow to give TDK, TDKR, and Interstellar the acclaim that they deserved.
if you're right wouldn't that biasing effect diminish on repeat viewings?

(I think Dunkirk's his best movie)

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 1:51 am
dafox wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 1:16 am
if you're right wouldn't that biasing effect diminish on repeat viewings?

(I think Dunkirk's his best movie)

-Vader
It’s more that Interstellar has been negatively received for a Nolan movie rather than Dunkirk getting too much praise. I think Dunkirk’s reception was good/accurate. Critics just jumped all over the slightest “flaws” of Interstellar, namely the exposition. You can’t have a movie like that without the exposition otherwise you can just as easily cry “plot hole” or “incoherent”. I think that Nolan has had such a reputation as a mind binder that people, especially critics, feel pleased with themselves for having caught him in some logical error. Dunkirk is different enough of a film, even for Nolan, to probably create a miss impression in me so idk but I do know that all of his other films are amazing.

i love Interstellar (I called it a masterpiece on first viewing), but it's undeniably a bullishly erratic movie in tone, pace and style so I can hardly fault critics, who tend to look for formal skill and control before anything else.

But if it makes you feel better, a bunch of major critics have warmed to Interstellar since release and it still has an 8.6 on IMDB.

i think dunkirk's going to be remembered as his magnum opus in the future though (barring any subsequent such films)

-Vader