Controversial Opinions About Movies Part II

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:I don't think it can be reduced to that level of simplicity. He had other writers, including Fischer help write the screenplays.

I have this whole thing that if you took the screenplays as written, and you got someone to direct them and infuse them with real energy and emotion, they'd have been fairly liked if not loved. On the page, Anakin isn't much different from Kylo Ren and yet here we are. I truly think a very LARGE part of it is that Lucas simply doesn't like and doesn't get along with and doesn't understand people, how to direct them or how to execute things cinematically. He was basically making his second fully directed film EVER. And A New Hope famously was made in the Edit.

He's not a very gifted filmmaker for basics.

-Vader
wouldn't it have been his third? with American Graffiti and A New Hope preceding it

Pratham wrote:
bootsy wrote:No ad blockers. I'm using Microsoft Edge. I think after the forum came back up yesterday it kind of got stuck in a weird looking format. I hit refresh on this site about 15 minutes ago and it looked normal again.
dude why?
I'm used to using Chrome but am trying Edge and so far it hasn't been kind. :lol:

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
December 28th, 2017, 5:42 am
look at your own risk i'm serious
hoyte's work with nolan hasnt been good. dunkirk works in spite of him not because of him
So I’d really like to get into this, and I was hoping you could explain it in detail. I ask that mainly because many times I love the way a movie looks, or hate it, and most others express the opposite. So like maybe I just don’t understand the difference between good and bad photography on a technical level.

It’s definitely different from Pfister, but I’ve really enjoyed how Hoyte has used IMAX, almost better than Pfister. The only major complaint I have is the difference in use of natural light, which Pfister does magically, and Hoyte seems duller.

Spectre is a good example, which looks frankly depressing in many parts, especially night time. But then again that’s from a different director entirely.

IDK if this opinion should go here but I'll put it here.

I think Blade Runner 2049 would have been so much more emotional if K was a woman.
I've just been thinking about this for the past day or so. Like imagine a female blade runner who finds out that she might have the ability to create life and that there is more in store for her. Fuck man, sign me up.

Here’s one, I don’t think I have it in me to rewatch Dunkirk like TDK trilogy, Prestige, Inception, or even Interstellar. Last time I saw it I was bored to death because, other than what I already liked and discovered about it in cinema, there was nothing new there. Maybe it was a bad day to watch it but man...

For me, it’s because while it’s ironically one of Nolan’s shortest and tightest films, it’s his most emotionally draining, which seems entirely intentional.

I’ve seen it thrice now and by the end I feel exactly like Whitehead’s character.

m4st4 wrote:
January 24th, 2018, 1:45 am
Here’s one, I don’t think I have it in me to rewatch Dunkirk like TDK trilogy, Prestige, Inception, or even Interstellar. Last time I saw it I was bored to death because, other than what I already liked and discovered about it in cinema, there was nothing new there. Maybe it was a bad day to watch it but man...
I've seen it 8 times and dying to see it a 9th. It's his best movie. I literally can't imagine being bored by Dunkirk.

-Vader

I watched it on the day it came out and then the next day. The 2nd time I watched it, I loved it still, but something was off. I've paced out my viewings since then and every single time I watch it, I love it more. It's not the film's fault; I feel, like Cil said, it's a little draining (it's supposed to be). I'd never be bored by it though.

m4st4 wrote:
January 24th, 2018, 1:45 am
I share the same feeling. I've seen it four times and loved all of my viewings but because it's such a tight movie, it feels like there isn't much to unravel, compared to a sprawling epic like Interstellar or a mind-bender like Inception. There's a lot in the craft but not much in narrative.