Controversial Opinions About Movies Part II

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I've never been particularly engaged with a Paul Thomas Anderson film outside of its cinematography -- and in the case of There Will be Blood -- Daniel Day-Lewis's acting. He's a great director, but it's just very difficult for his craft to engage me. That being said, he is still one of the greatest of our lifetimes.

That's kind of weird. He never engages you, yet you consider him one of the best. I'd never say that about any of the directors I don't care about.

LelekPL wrote:That's kind of weird. He never engages you, yet you consider him one of the best. I'd never say that about any of the directors I don't care about.
Isn't it possible to acknowledge someone's work and fame without personally liking it?

Of course it's possible. For example it's ok for me to say that Michael Bay is one of the most famous or well-known directors of the modern era. But I'd never say he's one of the best or the greatest since I mostly don't like his recent movies.

Michaelf2225 wrote:the best movies of 2012 in this order:

Lincoln (Dir. Steven Spielberg)
Les Miserables (Dir. Tom Hooper)
The Dark Knight Rises (Dir. Christopher Nolan)

there's a lot of good movies that year that get jumbled right below those three; Skyfall, Argo, Django Unchained, Moonrise Kingdom, etc.
I could comfortably cite Lincoln, ZDT, TDKR or Skyfall as my favourite from the year. Great year.

TDKR, Django, The Master, Dredd and Prometheus are my favorites from that year. But The Grey, Looper, 21 Jump Street, Paranorman, Skyfall, Avengers, Moonrise Kingdom, Cabin in the Woods and End of Watch are also really good from that year. I wasn't a big fan of Argo or Zero Dark Thirty, though. Lincoln's not bad.

ZDT was movie of the year for me... followed closely by The Master, Holy Motors, Les Miserables, Django, Prometheus, TDKR and Silver Linings Playbook.

Not sure when favorite movies became controversial :) but for 2012 I'd probably go with Moonrise Kingdom and the rest being: Stories We Tell, Drug War, Wadjda, The Hunt and Silver Linings Playbook.

Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
I think the 3 masterpieces of 2012 of The Dark Knight Rises, The Master, and Cloud Atlas.

Unlike you bunch my list actually does belong in this thread.

1. Looper
2. Cloud Atlas
3. The Dark Knight Rises
4. Lincoln
5. Skyfall
6. Anna Karenina

£