2017-2018 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Master Virgo wrote:That was not worth a response Ruth. You deserve better than to engage in an argument against whatever garbage was it, that poured out of that fella's brain.£
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm astonished at Hollywood's love for The Day of the Locust, to the point that they're doing a whole performance art recreation of it

The supreme irony of using the Golden Globes of all things to take a stand, or even the Oscars is ASTONISHING

Bacon wrote:Portman was baked af

Also I'm all for more women directors in the industry but a director shouldn't get nominated simply because she's a woman and that was clearly the opinion people were having at the ceremony. I'd rather be nominated for being one of the best directors rather than getting handed a nom for my gender.
I think a lot of people who were surprised or upset that Greta Gerwig or Dee Rees didn't need receive a nomination may argue that they deserved some recognition because their films have been strong contenders for best picture awards, not simply because of their gender. Patty Jenkins on the other hand isn't being talked about as much because Wonder Woman is not up for many awards. So the argument that there weren't any 'worthy' women this year is pretty baseless.

Edit: And as someone else on here noted, Guillermo winning was a major highlight for me as well. The way he accepted his award was fantastic, especially pointing out the contribution of strong female leads in his work.

Del Toro accepted it with class and successfully shut the music down like a champ.

Ruth wrote:I'm sure if a male decided to become a nurse, he wouldn't be denied such an opportunity, and there are plenty of male teachers out there

2) yea and men don't have children and family, only women do
Women aren't denied the opportunity of being directors anymore than men are. Where's the evidence for that? Such a shallow and meaningless argument to say "sexism because there are less women!!!". Also, men have children, but they aren't impregnated for 9 months, they don't breastfeed for 2 years, and they don't generally fill the role of caretaker.
Master Virgo wrote:That was not worth a response Ruth. You deserve better than to engage in an argument against whatever garbage was it, that poured out of that fella's brain.£
Meanwhile you virtue signal about me being a troll.
Last edited by Master Virgo on January 9th, 2018, 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Double posting

Michaelf2225 wrote:i can't believe people are still trying to paint Allen as somehow equal to Weinstein, Singer, Spacey, etc.
He is. Maybe worse.

Michaelf2225 wrote:i can't believe people are still trying to paint Allen as somehow equal to Weinstein, Singer, Spacey, etc.
The result of the current toxic climate. People don't want to listen to reason. Every accused is guilty until proven innocent.£

I doubt many in these circles are saints.