2017-2018 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ArmandFancypants wrote:How about people wait until they've seen both performances
i didn't read the context for this but do you know where you are?

Nomis wrote:Fuck that.

How about Oldman finally getting some, he's one of the finest actors.
He may very well get it tho given the role he's playing.

I hope we get a trailer by August.

RIFA wrote:
Nomis wrote:Fuck that.

How about Oldman finally getting some, he's one of the finest actors.
He may very well get it tho given the role he's playing.

I hope we get a trailer by August.
Film Critics and Academy voters will be falling over themselves to see Gary's transformation as the Old Bulldog.

E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E knows he's long overdue - and on paper he's the one to beat.

Now that Leo's got his, I can hear the war drums beating in the distance for Gary and the noise is getting louder. That trailer can't come soon enough. Ben Mendelsohn as King George is another performance to look forward to.

I also think this will be Joe Wrights return in full force. His best project since Atonement.

Is....

.....is this the year?

Jedisunscreen wrote:Is....

.....is this the year?
Could be. Depends entirely on strength of other entries and how well Dunkirk ages in people's minds.

Most likely will get serious nominations in most major categories, I think.

-Vader

I think, sadly, Deakins might come up short again.

It would be astonishing if it missed the noms, the indication of whether it will be a contender or not will be if... Probably Rylance gets into BSA

It's very early in the game to talk about wins obviously, but this is the biggest shot he's had yet at the big ones. Other than screenplay, which I'd be shocked if it even got a nom.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
Jedisunscreen wrote:Is....

.....is this the year?
Could be. Depends entirely on strength of other entries and how well Dunkirk ages in people's minds.

Most likely will get serious nominations in most major categories, I think.

-Vader
Apparently, Variety is reporting that Dunkirk will have a pretty strong multiple and do well for consecutive weeks off word of mouth.

Hopefully this leads to more theaters showing the film in 70mm IMAX and Laser.

Gravity and Fury Road might be good points for comparison. Both are "experience movies" with a fast pacing and rely heavily on visual storytelling similar to Dunkirk, impressed with their technical achievements, and received a great critical reception. Fury Road also was released very early in the year.

Gravity won 7 Oscars - Best Director, Best Score, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing and Best Visual Effects - and was also nominated for Best Picture, Best Actress and Best Production Design.

Fury Road ended up with 6 wins - Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Production Design, Best Makeup and Hair Styling, Best Costume Design, and Best Film Editing - and 4 further nominations - Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography, and Best Visual Effects.

I can definitely see similar nominations for Dunkirk: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Score, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Production Design, Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing, and Best Visual Effects are possible. Up to 9 nominations in total, the same as Gravity except for Best Actress. These are also 8 of Fury Road's nominations except for Best Makeup and Hair Styling, and Best Costume Design, and with the addition of Best Original Score. I don't think Dunkirk will receive any actor nominations, as well as screenplay.

I can see very high chances for Dunkirk winning Best Sound Editing, and Best Sound Mixing, while Best Director, Best Original Score, Best Production Design, Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing, and Best Visual Effects aren't a lock. Best Picture win is very unlikely though.

justmy2cents
Last edited by Dobson on July 23rd, 2017, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.