2017-2018 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Spert wrote:I didn't love Get Out but its going to be better received than most of the films nominated this year

And considering pretty much every film.coming out at the end of this year will be all white casts, Get Out should be able to get in for at least some diversity. At the least it's a successful and well received film where the cast isnt all white people.
this would suck

i haven't seen it but it's gotten nothing but raves from everyone, why wouldn't it get a nom?

I mean, if only white people are nominated it's suddenly racist. I just don't understand why the nominations have to be diverse. Sure they can be, if everyone who gets nominated deserves the recognition. So, to get back to my point, I'd really dislike Spert's way of reasoning to be what will get Get Out nominated.

Anyway, I thought Get Out was a very good film and I think it deserves recognition but not solely for the sake of diversity.

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:i haven't seen it but it's gotten nothing but raves from everyone, why wouldn't it get a nom?
watch it.

annabelle gets raves too. there's raves and then there's raves. if it's not a rave russian party then it won't get nominated. makes sense?

The racial angle and social commentary elevated it to obscene heights in the public consciousness.

An unremarkable piece of filmmaking, which means Oscar nominations is very much on table.

It's your standard yearly overhyped horror, a strong four instead of insta-classic five quotes keep telling you.

Well directed, edited and acted, sure, with a solid twist of expectations near the end, that is if you don't watch closely from the beginning.

But if Academy starts nominating movies just to fill up quota, oh boy... Nominate quality first and foremost, like Moonlight. I'm sorry, this one goes to Hollywood first: give solid job opportunities to the people, first and foremost. And to the studios: risk more. Awards are like the last thing that should be on everyone's mind.

Nomis wrote:I mean, if only white people are nominated it's suddenly racist. I just don't understand why the nominations have to be diverse. Sure they can be, if everyone who gets nominated deserves the recognition. So, to get back to my point, I'd really dislike Spert's way of reasoning to be what will get Get Out nominated.

Anyway, I thought Get Out was a very good film and I think it deserves recognition but not solely for the sake of diversity.
I'm not saying solely for diversity. Its a universally praised film that absolutely deserves its nominations whether or lot you like it.

But if it gets snubbed for some other vanilla movie that most likely isn't anywhere as good, the Oscars deserve to get shit for it
RIFA wrote:
mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:i haven't seen it but it's gotten nothing but raves from everyone, why wouldn't it get a nom?
watch it.

annabelle gets raves too. there's raves and then there's raves. if it's not a rave russian party then it won't get nominated. makes sense?
It has a 84 on metacritic

That's better than Detroit

And you guys are blind to think it's acceptable for every Best Picture contender to be all films with all white casts and think there isn't a problem with Hollywood
Last edited by Master Virgo on August 3rd, 2017, 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Triple posting

Spert wrote:And you guys are blind to think it's acceptable for every Best Picture contender to be all films with all white casts and think there isn't a problem with Hollywood
WHAT

THE

FUCK
Go away.
Seriously who's alt is this? It's way too troll.

Get Out is at the very least an expertly directed film, so there's a chance.

I mean if WW can get in ...

Cilogy wrote:Get Out is at the very least an expertly directed film, so there's a chance.

I mean if WW can get in ...
ehh

EHHHHHH

idk - the direction is certainly competent and fine or whatever - the writing is what impresses me

i’d be very much in support of an original screenplay nom