Red Dead Redemption 2

A place to discuss music and video games.
gathering memories too

not gunna lie, I love this game but permanently losing your horse from ambushes feels like contempt for the player

it's a gross / incoherent mechanic, esp later in the game where ambushes are huge, unavoidable and sometimes nearly impossible to defeat

i've lost the 1000 arabian horse twice now, both times from ambushes with like 15 guys that surrounded was dead in less than 5 seconds

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 9:37 pm
not gunna lie, I love this game but permanently losing your horse from ambushes feels like contempt for the player

it's a gross / incoherent mechanic, esp later in the game where ambushes are huge, unavoidable and sometimes nearly impossible to defeat

i've lost the 1000 arabian horse twice now, both times from ambushes with like 15 guys that surrounded was dead in less than 5 seconds

-Vader
Man I didn't lose my horse once.

Best strategy is to ride like hell upon ambush then turn heel and dead eye that shit.

I'm still at 28% of the story, so I haven't encountered many ambushes, but I just do what Armand does.

Plus can't you revive yer horse?

Cil, my horse doesn't die. I do. RDR2 has this weird mechanic where if you die from an ambush you don't respawn with your horse.

Instead, very very weirdly, you default to a "clone" of your Tennessee Walker with the stats it had at the start of the game. That's what I mean by "contempt for the player."

I didn't even know this mechanic existed until a couple days ago, then it just happened again in more or less the same place. There's a "new" ambush where you get surrounded in swampland and by the time I turn around I'm dead cuz they surround you.

love this game to pieces but not gunna lie this pissed me off lol

-Vader

Are you sure that's not just you?

I died from ambushes but kept my trusty steed...?

ArmandFancypants wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 12:11 am

I've died from ambushes but never lost one till I bought the Arabian horse (2x)

saw others had the same issue on Reddit.

at that Bethesda point where I legit can't tell if its a bug or a feature

-Vader

Finally purchased this. Holy frozen horse balls Batman. I’m only to where you capture that o Driscoll guy and bring him back to camp, but damn I can tell this game is already a masterpiece

Vader182 wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 12:14 am
ArmandFancypants wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 12:11 am

I've died from ambushes but never lost one till I bought the Arabian horse (2x)

saw others had the same issue on Reddit.

at that Bethesda point where I legit can't tell if its a bug or a feature

-Vader
Have you tried not dying at ambushes

I mean... I haven't... Like, ambushes usually means 3-4 enemies max, how can that kill you, literally never been in an ambush with 15 guys

Ive read this anyway https://www.rdr2.org/news/red-dead-rede ... appearing/ but Ive also never gotten or looked for any elite horsebreeds

Cilogy wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 11:41 pm
I'm still at 28% of the story, so I haven't encountered many ambushes, but I just do what Armand does.

Plus can't you revive yer horse?
Also btw wanted to tell you and others therell be plenty of reason to keep playing and doing side stuff after the story, i basically almost left all of that for afterwards and the game kind of wants you to