Aladdin (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
yo wtf

Ruth wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 3:29 pm
Actually this is really not awful at all, not even bad or mediocre. It’s really enjoyable and loads of fun. Amazingly paced imo, because time just flew by and nothing felt dragged out. Obviously this is not better than the animated version, but it didn’t have to be to warrant its existence. If you distance yourself from the need to continuously compare this to the original, you might not adore it, but you’ll at least have fun.

Way before the movie even released I kind of thought Naomi Scott just didn’t have that Jasmine look to me, but honestly both her and Aladdin grow on you tremendously, and both share enough chemistry to just make it work. Will Smith is also really fun, which is probably controversial lol. He doesn’t reach the greatness of Williams, but I don’t think he even tried to. The performance doesn’t come across as an imitation, it stands on its own.

It’s pretty to look at as far as very heavily CGI’d films can go, the music is amazing (but that’s kind of like... duh lmao). It’s not as dazzling as the original, but it’s not soulless either. I couldn’t hate it even if I wanted to.
Yes, yes and yes.
I've had some issues with pacing in the third act, because there is so much happening, so much twists, and they still have to move very fast forward, that it felt sometimes some scenes could have been a little longer. But the pacing of the second act was great, much helped by Smith and Pedrad being so funny. Took a little time at the beginning to get used to Ritchie's style where everything is too big and incredibles to feel real (like the stunt during the chase at the beginning). And I still think that Ritchie is great for entertainement but can't really bring much more.
Will Smith is great. MVP with Naomi Scott, and now I'm going to listen to Speechless(oscar nom for best song, no?)

Smith:
This is a post that I'm just humbled and honored to make right now. Today, Aladdin just passed Independence Day as the highest grossing film of my entire career. To be in this game as long as I've been in this game, and to have my biggest movie at this point in my career, I just want to say thank you.
As of yet Aladdin has made $824.1 million worldwide

Don't tell Will Smith about inflation.

I forgot to rate this one.

5.8/10

Nomis wrote:
June 30th, 2019, 7:25 am
Smith:
This is a post that I'm just humbled and honored to make right now. Today, Aladdin just passed Independence Day as the highest grossing film of my entire career. To be in this game as long as I've been in this game, and to have my biggest movie at this point in my career, I just want to say thank you.
As of yet Aladdin has made $824.1 million worldwide
That's hard to believe. Not that Aladdin has made that much money, but that it's Smith's biggest hit ever.

But good for him.

I actually really enjoyed this. I was worried in the beginning because Will's singing was a bit shaky and I was just like "is this gonna work?" But then it really fell in place. I enjoyed the actress who played Jasmine the most. Her singing was on point and she was beautiful. Aladdin wasn't bad either. I thought Will brought the charisma. Some of his jokes didn't land, but it wasn't often enough to be cringey. It was really hard to pull off such a fantastical story in live action form, but I think they mostly did it. My only complaint was some of the pacing and a few of the songs just weren't sung very well lol. But they nailed the most important songs so it all worked out.

I think I'd give this a 8 out of 10.

Still waiting for an adaptation that showcases both the djinn from the lamp and the ring and that is set in China like in the original story...but that's never gonna happen I guess.

I liked this movie.