Aladdin (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Penguin022 wrote:
August 16th, 2018, 11:08 pm
At some point, Guy Ritchie should try to do a really good movie again.
It's called "King Arthur: Legend of the Sword"

Alright - I actually haven't seen either of those 2 movies - but are they Snatch/Lock Stock-level good or just Sherlock Holmes-level good?

^ Speaking of "2 movies" and sorta on-topic with the thread, has anyone ever seen the two Aladdin animated sequels? I'm sure the live-action film will only tie in with the first one, but here are my impressions of them if you ever considered checking them out.

The Return of Jafar

Obviously many would be dismissive initially, saying: "Aladdin shouldn't have sequels!" I might agree, but I went in open-minded. Unfortunately, it didn't help very much. Running under 70 minutes, I watched something with poor animation designs, pretty generic songs, a strangely shifted focus on Iago, and although many people in the cast were the original voices, many of them sounded plenty different. However, Robin Williams was not the Genie in this, and it was apparent from the get-go that the Genie character himself just felt kind of different overall. This was not a worthy sequel, and save the Iago redemption route they went it really was forgotten pretty quickly. This should be skipped, there is nothing to see here whatsoever.

Aladdin and the King of Thieves

Okay, this was a much better sequel. I still can't say that it beats the first one (and I'm sure that's hard to say), but the animation this time was slightly better, Robin Williams did return (and Genie was funnier in this one than even the original, and I honestly don't even think it's close), and the focus was back on Aladdin, digging a bit more into his past. There was a very early plot twist that everyone here would see coming within seconds of thinking about it, but it didn't detract too much.

This one was a more epic tale, one of the songs was pretty A1-worthy with Aladdin and Jasmine, and I suppose it ended on a good note as well. I can't think of a good Disney cartoon sequel, so I suppose this one is the best of them. Still not great, and if you skip A2 this might not come by as well because of how turned off you'd be by the animation compared to A1, but if you can look past it you might be willing to give it a viewing.

Strangely enough, neither film really featured Abu all that much. I enjoyed that relationship in Aladdin, and it was kind of lost in these two sequels. The magic carpet was always kind of there, so not much was lost. However, there weren't any more tricks up their sleeves in these films. Once the magic carpet and Genie are revealed in the first film, they got to be used plenty and kind of had a nice fresh take to them. These offered nothing really new, elementally-speaking.

I grew up with them, loved ROJ when it first came out because... Jafar. But yeah it's pretty brutal. It's effectively the pilot for the tv series that ran in the 90s. The third one was a nice capper I guess. Evil Orbach Power!

There was a TV series? Oy vey, how little I know!

nah im good

I wisely chose not to watch any Disney live-action remakes of their animated films.

Batfan175 wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 1:15 am
I wisely chose not to watch any Disney live-action remakes of their animated films.
Will you wisely tell us about it every time one of these releases?🕷️

:batman: he will :batman: