The Lion King (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Thank god for Midsommar today because yesterday I saw this and it was by far Disney’s worst live adaptation. No soul was found whatsoever, start to end. I gave it 2.5/5 on letterboxd and gf agreed. Audience was pretty much dead throughout except for that one kid who cried when Mufasa died (I watched it coldblooded as fuck, true testament to its bloodless direction). Is it pretty? Sure, but Planet Earth II is also so much better than this.

What's your Letterboxd, man?

Bacon wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 5:09 pm
What's your Letterboxd, man?
It’s m4st4 as well.

m4st4 wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 4:39 pm
Thank god for Midsommar today because yesterday I saw this and it was by far Disney’s worst live adaptation. No soul was found whatsoever, start to end. I gave it 2.5/5 on letterboxd and gf agreed. Audience was pretty much dead throughout except for that one kid who cried when Mufasa died (I watched it coldblooded as fuck, true testament to its bloodless direction). Is it pretty? Sure, but Planet Earth II is also so much better than this.
well damn

The worst thing about this adaptation is that I don't remember a single scene and it's fucking Lion King. The best thing is it made me re-watch blu-ray of the original, like asap.

well shit :lol: that half hour extra isn't going to cut it either?

Nomis wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 5:55 am
well shit :lol: that half hour extra isn't going to cut it either?
No idea where they got those extra 30 minutes cause it sure felt like I was watching the old material, just through a brand new lense and some extra impro work from Rogen and Eichner (generally great Timon and Pumba).

It also strengthened the idea that Aladdin by Guy Ritchie actually had a reason to exist, in comparison.

well that all sounds very encouraging

I did saw that clip of Timon and Pumba finding Simba, their voice work is pretty good. There's just such a distance between the voice work and the visuals

I’m gonna be part of the minority here, but I actually enjoyed this. It’s the same movie with the same composer, re-skinned to showcase new technological innovations within the film industry. Unlike the other Disney remakes, it at least does something groundbreaking and new I’ve never seen before, even if it’s just visuals. That alone justified this remake for me. I can watch both versions for what they are and enjoy them. Animated original is KING. But this isn’t a bad version.

misho92 wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 7:49 am
I’m gonna be part of the minority here, but I actually enjoyed this. It’s the same movie with the same composer, re-skinned to showcase new technological innovations within the film industry. Unlike the other Disney remakes, it at least does something groundbreaking and new I’ve never seen before, even if it’s just visuals. That alone justified this remake for me. I can watch both versions for what they are and enjoy them. Animated original is KING. But this isn’t a bad version.
Have you seen Apes trilogy and The Jungle Book? I don’t see how this is groundbreaking. Pretty, yes.