The Lion King (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I also feel nothing. None of the visuals have any magic to them. In the original film the medium of animation allowed the animals to be anthropomorphic, but these photorealistic animals don't have any facial expressions at all. They're not relatable. Not to mention they can't really pull off the huge dance numbers without looking ridiculous. It just doesn't work.

Hey, I'm in. Visuals looks nuts

This is just lazy.

How does one manage to give such a bland delivery in the character of Scar?

Dobson wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 9:50 am
I also feel nothing. None of the visuals have any magic to them. In the original film the medium of animation allowed the animals to be anthropomorphic, but these photorealistic animals don't have any facial expressions at all. They're not relatable. Not to mention they can't really pull off the huge dance numbers without looking ridiculous. It just doesn't work.
Exactly. Give me Serkis' freaking amazing version of Jungle Book over Favreau's lame film any day.£

Bacon wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 8:09 am

The animation looks insane. Music brought back big memories. That being said though, Scar's voice is waaay off.
So we get exactly the same film but in this mighty impressive animation*. I honestly don't know why other than that the masses are going to flock out for this. It's a massive cash grab imo. I mean, the story itself is good and the original film hits me right in the fucking feels and I'm sure they'll be able to re-capture some of that but other than that, I don't see anything in this.

Also what the fuck, Ejiofor is a terrible Scar already. I bet we get the same situation as with Elba's Shere-Khan which was lacking to the max.

They should've gotten all the living actors of the original back for this. Also, Beyoncé hasn't proven to be a talented actress so I really wonder if she'll be able to pull her dialogue off. I'm more than sure she will in the singing department of course.

I guess this will win the Best VFX at the next Oscars? lol

*It's cool and all that they're able to make all the animals look photo-realistic or at least close to that, but a continuation of what was done with Serkis' Jungle Book/Mowgli animation would've been more interesting. I don't like all the characters designs in that but Bale as Bagheera was very impressive and looked a lot more convincing to be able to speak than the Bagheera in Favreau's film.

I guess I'll stick with the other Disney animated Lion King movie.

They should have done Kimba the White Lion live version instead.

Rogen, Eisner and Oliver are perfect casting I'm watching it for that

Cilogy wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 7:23 pm
Rogen, Eisner and Oliver are perfect casting I'm watching it for that
Add Glover and Earl Jones (and possibly Key as well).

ah yes, the key piece missing from a classic magical adventure film: photorealism