The Crown (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Master Virgo wrote:Wait a second I'm pretty sure Attlee's character was supposed to be included and there was an actor cast for the role so what happened? I checked like yesterday I think.

And also how is it that so often American presidents are portrayed by British actors and British PMs by Americans? lol.£
Atlee is in the first episode ever so briefly at Elizabeth and Philip's wedding.

Three episodes in, this is excellent.

-Vader

Finished now, need moar. Surprised Netflix haven't chucked The Queen on there.

In summation:

Portrayal of the Duke of Windsor is absolutely amazing and one of my favourite TV characters automatically
The most Pip Torrens role Pip Torrens has ever played
Claire Foy is more than capable of being Mirren's predecessor/successor
Lithgow takes Churchill and makes him his own - this is no small thing
Jeremy Northam is perfect as a useless fuck
Matt Smith is just as funny as the real Prince Philip and gives the show its critical edge
Morgan writes for TV better than most and in fact writes better than most of his contemporaries period. Frankly I still want to see his Bond film.
The structure of the show is basically impeccable, with each episode's thematic core being genuine rather than window dressing
As a continuation of Morgan's examination of the curious, anachronistic, warped and yet strangely vital place of the monarchy in today's society, and indeed an interrogation through art of the Westminster System of government, it might be one of the most important and relevant works created since TSN
Production values and photography are marvelous but cinema and TV's replacements for Westminster Hall are always pathetic in comparison to the real thing. Closest anyone got was Fred Zinnemann. Oh well.

ArmandFancypants wrote:Portrayal of the Duke of Windsor is absolutely amazing and one of my favourite TV characters automatically
Jennings is my main interest to check this out. They say the guy was a magnificent Henry Higgins on West End. God how much I wish I could've seen that.£

I don't doubt it; would also loved to have seen him as Wonka.

Love this, I'm four episodes in. Foy is terrific, Lithgow is a joy to watch and
Harris nailed it. He made me feel the first time he started to cry in episode 1.

Downloading now. Looking forward to peeping it tonight.

Just finished the first ep. Superb quality nearly everywhere. Jared Harris in one hour gives one of my favorite performances in maybe years.

I finished the show yesterday, loved it. Foy is terrific. Loved the arcs between Elizabeth and Margaret. Harris and Lithgow were great as well.

Greenlit for a second season?