just watched Synecdoche, New York

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I've seen it a couple of times. Pretty great :thumbup:

Watching closely really brings forth some interesting details.

Yes, I've seen it, and sort of like it, but I think it fails at some level, in some important way. It's still too linear ( flat? ) to convey the depth/three dimensionality of the models of reality that we live in, and the way in which we construct, protect/defend, get lost in, try to escape from, them. It's too abstract, too much the "idea" about them, rather than the experience of them.

I am hoping that this three-dimensionality is what Nolan manages to do with "Inception". :D He managed to create the ( visceral ) experience of living in a model of reality, seeing the cracks, etc, in "Memento", and although I think he did that by inverting "time", ( which mechanism creates multiple/repeated twists, provides new data, in quantities which we would never tolerate in an ordinary film, because after one or two twists we tend to disengage from a film ), and "Inception" obviously doesn't do that, perhaps he has managed to do it with the layers/layering ( I haven't seen it yet ).

Edit: PS. Maybe though I simply didn't like or enjoy seeing a model of reality ( in "Synecdoche" ) from which could not escape in some exhilarating/exciting way, a model of reality which was suffocating, increasingly absurd, limited, rigid, in which people become increasingly interchangeable, and from which all the protagonist manages to do by the end is withdraw/retreat/detach himself somewhat. ... ... ... PPS. Suddenly reminded of Lindsay Anderson's "O Lucky Man".

prodical wrote:
Eternalist wrote:Saw it. Didn't like it.
would you mind explaining why?
I think it's meaning is interesting (if you got it) but around halfway through the film becomes entirely obsessed with itself and it's own machinations that it fails to be involving.

Eternalist wrote:
prodical wrote:
Eternalist wrote:Saw it. Didn't like it.
would you mind explaining why?
I think it's meaning is interesting (if you got it) but around halfway through the film becomes entirely obsessed with itself and it's own machinations that it fails to be involving.
I agree there is about 25-30min segment where it falls apart - it suddenly stops envoking that deep emotion it manages in the first half and becomes flat and utterly confounding. The ending though, is just incredible - but it is a very difficult film, but also a very honest one, I liked the way it did not shy away from the more ridiculous elements of the male mind (his fantasies about every woman he meets coming onto him for example). Its a film I found hard to form an opinion on, some of it was just brilliant, Kaufman's use of surrealism seems to resonate emotionally at points in a way even Lynch couldn't manage, but some of it was a total mess. I loved the Little Person song though.

arizonabay wrote: I agree there is about 25-30min segment where it falls apart - it suddenly stops envoking that deep emotion it manages in the first half and becomes flat and utterly confounding. The ending though, is just incredible - but it is a very difficult film, but also a very honest one, I liked the way it did not shy away from the more ridiculous elements of the male mind (his fantasies about every woman he meets coming onto him for example). Its a film I found hard to form an opinion on, some of it was just brilliant, Kaufman's use of surrealism seems to resonate emotionally at points in a way even Lynch couldn't manage, but some of it was a total mess. I loved the Little Person song though.
I agree completely, but I'd take Lynch over Kaufman any day.

Eternalist wrote:
arizonabay wrote: I agree there is about 25-30min segment where it falls apart - it suddenly stops envoking that deep emotion it manages in the first half and becomes flat and utterly confounding. The ending though, is just incredible - but it is a very difficult film, but also a very honest one, I liked the way it did not shy away from the more ridiculous elements of the male mind (his fantasies about every woman he meets coming onto him for example). Its a film I found hard to form an opinion on, some of it was just brilliant, Kaufman's use of surrealism seems to resonate emotionally at points in a way even Lynch couldn't manage, but some of it was a total mess. I loved the Little Person song though.
I agree completely, but I'd take Lynch over Kaufman any day.
Same, I love Lynch's films.

Decent film, but I think I expected too much considering it was a Kaufman movie, plus the fact that he was directing it. I've been a fan since Being John Malkovich, but this didn't really catch my attention like his previous work did. I think it was my fault for over-hyping this, but on repeated viewings you pick up little details and you slowly grow on it. I would give it a 6.5/10. It's worth a watch for Hoffman's incredible acting and the beautiful ending.

is it comedic aswell?

James wrote:is it comedic aswell?
Yes. very at times.