Roma (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
This was incredible. No point in describing the film because it'll just be superlatives. Instant #1 of the year.

I do concede I saw it with pretty good sound and a masked(!) screen so most people won't get the same experience.

anarchy wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 2:51 am
This was incredible. No point in describing the film because it'll just be superlatives. Instant #1 of the year.

I do concede I saw it with pretty good sound and a masked(!) screen so most people won't get the same experience.
the masked screen made me want to cry

-Vader

masked screens are great and basically my only complaint about Dolby

Michaelf2225 wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 3:57 am
not when the bottom foot of the screen isn't aligned correctly

-Vader

Michaelf2225 wrote:
The clip Dolby plays before a movie about 'true black' is so ridiculous. Widescreen movies suck in Dolby; I'm only there for the sound.

I'm glad AMC still has the ability to mask a screen and pissed that they never use it.

you muthafuckas

It's gonna be the opening movie for the Cine Latino Film Festival in my city, and I thought maybe not seeing it since it'll be $40. But after Vader's reaction, I reckon $40 will be fucking worth the cost and travel.

I need this film inside me.£

Vader182 wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 4:10 am
Michaelf2225 wrote:
not when the bottom foot of the screen isn't aligned correctly

-Vader
okay, fair. especially since theaters seem to care less and less about projection quality these days. even a dolby movie i just went to had the red channel of the projector completely mis-calibrated, and i had to go tell one of the staff during the previews.
anarchy wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 4:23 am
Michaelf2225 wrote:
The clip Dolby plays before a movie about 'true black' is so ridiculous. Widescreen movies suck in Dolby; I'm only there for the sound.

I'm glad AMC still has the ability to mask a screen and pissed that they never use it.
it depends on the screen. i just saw The Old Man and the Gun in an AMC last night where the screen wasn't masked. the week before, i saw a movie that was.

and i don't know, man. the projection in Dolby is so much better than any other digital system i can recall seeing (except maybe IMAX laser), that i'm not gonna discount it, because the screen isn't masked; though, when they forget to turn the red channel on, that can be annoying...

This is one of the best looking and best sounding movies certainly this year if not probably ever and it severely bums me out most of you won't be able to have a theatrical experience.

This was made for the big screen in a way very few movies actually are. If that's the price everyone pays for Roma existing, it's a steep price but probably justifiable.

-Vader