Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Posts: 18719
Joined: June 2010
Location: The White City
im trying to distract myself from work and you're really gunna do me like that virgo


-Vader

Posts: 12115
Joined: February 2011
Wait, what have I done?£

Posts: 18719
Joined: June 2010
Location: The White City
i responded to you with more text than my response called for and you didn't even respond

this is a travesty


-Vader

Posts: 12115
Joined: February 2011
OMG I'm sorry bro. No disrespect intended. I thought we sort of settled it with, you wanted sth else, but this suits me just fine.
The deal with the whole being done to death thing is, that pretty much everything in M:I series have been done to death. We're mostly back to see how well they can do it this time round. At least with a more complicated ending (just like how the rest of the film is this tangled web of intricate situations, where opponents pose as allies and friends have to stand on the other side) we would have gotten a fresh turn to all of that.

I have to say again, I adore the rest of the film. Maybe it's just that I've gotten too old and bitter for traditional Hollywood endings.
£

Posts: 505
Joined: July 2010
:idea:
Vader182 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:39 pm
virgo, the
'fallout' of all your good intentions' is that Julia winds up in harm's way at the end. From the opening infographics talking about Kashmir (sp) to Lane's line above, to Walker's reveal concerning julia, she's Ethan's blind spot and nothing he does will truly keep her safe since he has to confront he can't keep everyone safe all the time. The whole movie is set up for this, but you don't know what that information is referring to on your first viewing.

No matter how hard Ethan's tried to keep her out of harm's way, he ultimately can't really protect her, despite all his sacrifice. It puts an emotional arc through the last three Mission movies that actually makes sense, unlike, say, what was attempted by Spectre.

It sounds like you wanted an Infinity War style save the girl or save the world conundrum, but that's been done to death (literally) and this is more resonant for me in mission.

-Vader
Agree with what all you say but the third act's major problem was
diffusing the bomb set up which constituted the majority of the last act. The film is brilliant up to the start of finale and Julia's reveal was the last surprise of the movie which worked pretty great. But the action sequence really didn't feel as if something was on stake. Everything plays out by the numbers. All the innovative writing goes to the dogs suddenly. The helicopter scene felt more ridiculous than exciting. The movie had nothing more to offer. And compare this to elegant ending of Rogue Nation, you can't help not feeling disappointed.

Posts: 18719
Joined: June 2010
Location: The White City
i'll concede M:I is at its straightest in the third act of Fallout, but it's also at it's most visually spectacular sequence in all 6 movies and, for me, the most emotionally grandiose.

the non-helicopter stuff is a little plates-in-the-air-y though.


-Vader

Posts: 6771
Joined: February 2011
Location: The Discount Inn
Artemis wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 6:04 am
Vertigo

The fancy theater downtown was doing a midnight showing of this so I thought I'd go. I was kind of underwhelmed by this? Like the premise is pretty great and I loved Kim Novak and James Stewart in their roles. And Barbara Del Geddes was cute but I felt like her character never really went anywhere
but she did however play into the theme of the movie when she shows John the self portrait that she made. Never become someone else for another and don't obsess so much over one person but I still felt like her character wasn't given enough to do.
I did like it but I was really underwhelmed by it. Like this film is hyped up a lot and I don't think I ŕeally got that hype.

Maybe when I revisit it I'll see it differently.
You touch on some of it in your spoiler tag but it also prompts you to question why you're so attracted to someone or something in the first place. Do you like this person or thing just because they're beautiful or powerful or whatever and is that attraction right? Hence Scotty's change of heart/interrogation at the end. In Nolan's Elvis Mitchell interview for Inception he talks about how he and Leo used Scotty as a reference for Cobb. Its an evocative whirlwind of emotions that's amazingly crafted with its atmosphere, direction, music, and visuals etc but my reasons for adoring this film are pretty personal. Since I don't expect other people to have the same emotional baggage that I do it doesn't bother me if they're not crazy for Vertigo like I am. I'm a bit intoxicated so what the hell.
I have sympathy for Scotty because his journey parallels a critical time in my life. Long story short; I had extremely frail confidence and low character because I had been around only abusive and feckless people up until then so I wasn't able to succeed in reciprocating the advances from this girl who to this day is still the prettiest girl I've ever seen and who also had a heart of gold. She was a grade above me (didn't know my reputation) and I had just been starting to clean myself up so I had a sort of clean slate in her eyes. I didn't feel like I deserved her and I had no idea why she was interested in me or what to do about it. So when I cowardly bided my time and gave up when she graduated high school I felt for Scotty when he "lost Madeleine" because of his fear. This still haunts me and I was so disgusted with myself that eventually I started to live my life with the foolhardiness and tenacity of someone with a death wish. I cherish this experience since her influence on me was the turning point away from my hooligan past and the resulting death wish attitude allowed me to make major leaps forward in other areas of my life. I've probably said too much but whatever.

Posts: 8158
Joined: August 2009
dafox wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 5:58 am
Artemis wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 6:04 am
Vertigo

The fancy theater downtown was doing a midnight showing of this so I thought I'd go. I was kind of underwhelmed by this? Like the premise is pretty great and I loved Kim Novak and James Stewart in their roles. And Barbara Del Geddes was cute but I felt like her character never really went anywhere
but she did however play into the theme of the movie when she shows John the self portrait that she made. Never become someone else for another and don't obsess so much over one person but I still felt like her character wasn't given enough to do.
I did like it but I was really underwhelmed by it. Like this film is hyped up a lot and I don't think I ŕeally got that hype.

Maybe when I revisit it I'll see it differently.
You touch on some of it in your spoiler tag but it also prompts you to question why you're so attracted to someone or something in the first place. Do you like this person or thing just because they're beautiful or powerful or whatever and is that attraction right? Hence Scotty's change of heart/interrogation at the end. In Nolan's Elvis Mitchell interview for Inception he talks about how he and Leo used Scotty as a reference for Cobb. Its an evocative whirlwind of emotions that's amazingly crafted with its atmosphere, direction, music, and visuals etc but my reasons for adoring this film are pretty personal. Since I don't expect other people to have the same emotional baggage that I do it doesn't bother me if they're not crazy for Vertigo like I am. I'm a bit intoxicated so what the hell.
I have sympathy for Scotty because his journey parallels a critical time in my life. Long story short; I had extremely frail confidence and low character because I had been around only abusive and feckless people up until then so I wasn't able to succeed in reciprocating the advances from this girl who to this day is still the prettiest girl I've ever seen and who also had a heart of gold. She was a grade above me (didn't know my reputation) and I had just been starting to clean myself up so I had a sort of clean slate in her eyes. I didn't feel like I deserved her and I had no idea why she was interested in me or what to do about it. So when I cowardly bided my time and gave up when she graduated high school I felt for Scotty when he "lost Madeleine" because of his fear. This still haunts me and I was so disgusted with myself that eventually I started to live my life with the foolhardiness and tenacity of someone with a death wish. I cherish this experience since her influence on me was the turning point away from my hooligan past and the resulting death wish attitude allowed me to make major leaps forward in other areas of my life. I've probably said too much but whatever.
thank you for sharing. I can see why this film is so personal to you. Your story does have some similarities to what Scottie goes through. Thank you for giving me a new perspective on the film too.

Posts: 9749
Joined: October 2011
Location: Foot of Mt. Belzoni
Imo Vertigo demands a return viewing which is oddly fitting

It's in a very small group of truly hypnotic films with 2001, Persona and Kwaidan for me

Posts: 8158
Joined: August 2009
ArmandFancypants wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 4:43 pm
Imo Vertigo demands a return viewing which is oddly fitting

It's in a very small group of truly hypnotic films with 2001, Persona and Kwaidan for me
I can see Vertigo being one of those movies where your perception of it changes after you've lived a little and went through some life stuff before returning to it.

There are aspects of the movie that were a gut punch based on my own personal experiences for sure.

Post Reply