Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Spotlight
First time viewing. Great understated performances. Really well written too.

Starman (1984)

One of Carpenter's best films. The movie repeatedly managed to almost make me cry. The main actors are wonderful (especially Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen is brilliant) and the soundtrack is amazing.

9/10

Justice League

lol

Annihilation
:clap: :clap:

HAUSU (House)
Director : Nobuhiko Obayashi
Year : 1977

Nobuhiko Obayashi’s House (Hausu) is a enjoyable, absurd comic horror film with somewhat familiar themes, goofy protagonist and antagonist stereotypes, a demon white fluffy (cute) cat, a murderous piano ,a guy who turns into bananas and all backed up with a jazz-funk score and bonkers editing.
Yes, it’s nuts but I so highly recommend it.

★★★

Near Dark (1987)

Classic vampire film. Oh how far the genre has fallen since then. Also, can Kathryn Bigelow return to the horror genre? I know people like to think that making 'serious' dramas is better or more grown-up filmmaking but excellent genre cinema will always be more interesting to me.

8.5/10

Inherent Vice

Wasn't bad but far from PTAs best. First hour or so had me hooked and then it just slowly falls apart here and there.

I watched Moana for the first time with my (almost) 2 year old daughter. Whenever The Rock said "You're Welcome" in his song, she kept responding with "Thank You". That made me laugh so hard.

I really liked the film. I thought it was phenomenally done.

The Innocents (1961)

This was an amazingly directed ghost story and showcased Deborah Kerr at her best. The child actors were great too, the dialogue was sophisticated and the cinematography beautifully enhanced the creepy atmosphere. This, like The Haunting, is a film that explores the ghost story in a much more psychological manner and hence is much less reliant on conventional storytelling devices than traditional ghost stories in films.

9/10

Snowpiercer

Surprised by this one. Really enjoyed it.

Bacon wrote:
March 10th, 2018, 11:23 am
Inherent Vice

Wasn't bad but far from PTAs best. First hour or so had me hooked and then it just slowly falls apart here and there.
In a way, I feel the messy scatter-brained, and surreal nature of the film is a reflection of the characters themselves, they're forever alternating states between high and sober, and the general disillusion around the

It's an abstract film, but not in the way The Master is. With Vice, at times I couldn't tell if PTA was just going overboard or wasn't going far enough, if that makes sense. In spite of that, the last scene warmed my heart somehow, it just seemed like such a naive and earnest moment between the characters after a frankly zany adventure.

It's like a deconstruction of the early 20th genre detective noir, but also a parody.

IDK, I need to see it again.