Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Into Darkness is at least a whole three levels above Beyond.

TeddyBlass wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 8:37 pm
moneyball good
i just chekd it out. it's interesting cause you can tell in the first 20 seconds it's gonna be well made, but that's also sort of it's defining quality. it really is pretty fantastic and miller has a dope reserved yet exacting style [not to mention scorsese ripped off like 10% of the film in wolf of wallstreet, if that's not an endorsement i don't know what is], but it's a conventional story that doesn't have a strong identity or particularly tap into the zeitgeist, which is why i think it hasn't left an impression on many people.

craftsmanship goes a long way in my books tho so i'm now stoked for whatever miller's next move is. wally needs to check his ego and keep shooting too.

I adored Foxcatcher when it was released and it is even more underrated than Moneyball. I should revisit it soon.

so I guess I'm gonna spend my entire Disney+ free trial watching the Pirates films

After Hours
My first time watching this film and it's kinda great how bonkers and ludicrous this film gets, as the main character desperately seeks a way to get home. I also quite enjoyed the soundtrack for this one.

9/10

Private Benjamin
The only other film I've seen Goldie Hawn in was 'Death becomes Her' but I found her portrayal of an initially timid and hopeless woman who becomes more assertive and independent in this film quite charming. Sadly, many of the other side characters do not get fleshed out very much. There is also a joke in the middle of the film on an airplane that I found to be quite problematic. Overall though, I think the film is a very clear film about women's agency and I found myself caring about the main character, which speaks to the strength of the performance. The second half of the film is a bit less engaging, even though it makes thematic sense and circles back to the beginning of the film.

7.5/10

Private Benjamin is a great fun movie. It's sad that it would have been demolished by online trolls had it been released today.

Ford v Ferrari

James Mangold knows how to direct action scenes. Exhilarating would be an understatement. Probably gonna win a slew of technical awards come Oscar season. A very annoying character in the movie is the sole reason for the drama to propel forward. That's Mangold's only undoing. Otherwise pretty decent movie.

LelekPL wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 5:17 am
Private Benjamin is a great fun movie. It's sad that it would have been demolished by online trolls had it been released today.
Yeah, that's sadly also my impression.

spade wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 1:08 am
Ford v Ferrari

James Mangold knows how to direct action scenes. Exhilarating would be an understatement. Probably gonna win a slew of technical awards come Oscar season. A very annoying character in the movie is the sole reason for the drama to propel forward. That's Mangold's only undoing. Otherwise pretty decent movie.
Seeing this tomorrow. Can't wait.

Matewan

This was a really great and overlooked John Sayles movie that also happens to be the feature film debut of Chris Cooper. This just came out on the Criterion Collection and I highly recommend giving it a look.