Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Artemis wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 7:49 pm
I Married a Witch

Hella entertaining. This is also the third Frederic March film I've seen and I still don't see "Frederic March." Mark of a good actor. Veronica Lake is truly *chefs kiss.*
March deserves to be as revered as Stewart, Fonda, Brando, etc.

Superb actor, superb career.

The Man Who Would Be King (1975)

It seems like a lot of people including critics miss the point that first and foremost, this is an allegory of the British Empire. Surprising considering how often people rush to find metaphors in movies. And I think the satirical part here comes from Kipling's text rather than Huston's direction, which is otherwise terrific. Thank God Bogart and Gable version never happened, would have been horrible. If you can go past the usual portrayal of Eastern stereotypes, and the fact that the film wants you to genuinely like these characters despite their immensely patronizing and misplaced ambitions, you would find this a rewarding watch. I certainly did.

Hors Normes
It's a french film, that's just been released. It's directed by the duo that made Intouchable (of which the Upside was the american remake). It's inspired by a true story.
It narrates the day to day hardships that two friends, a muslim and a jew, face to help through their associations autistic children. It has some incredibly emotional moments like when a mother wonders what her child will become after her death, and she ends up saying that she can't bear the idea that he will be locked up and sedated all his life, and that she'd rather kill him and herself than let that happen. And next to these wonderful emotional moments, there were scenes where the entire cinema was laughing. A really great film, with a great lead performance from Vincent Cassel.

A great story about people coming together to fight a battle they can't win (because these children will never have a normal life) but that they can stop feeling they've lost.

spade wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 4:34 pm
The Man Who Would Be King (1975)

It seems like a lot of people including critics miss the point that first and foremost, this is an allegory of the British Empire. Surprising considering how often people rush to find metaphors in movies. And I think the satirical part here comes from Kipling's text rather than Huston's direction, which is otherwise terrific. Thank God Bogart and Gable version never happened, would have been horrible. If you can go past the usual portrayal of Eastern stereotypes, and the fact that the film wants you to genuinely like these characters despite their immensely patronizing and misplaced ambitions, you would find this a rewarding watch. I certainly did.
I love that film. Connery is perfect in it

Midsommar (2019)

I don't even think I can properly review this move. Goodness what a harrowing experience. It definitely leaves a mark. I enjoyed it for the most part.

Happy Death Day (2017)

Soooo... I actually quite liked it. It’s fun, doesn’t overstay its welcome length-wise, feels more unique and fresh than a lot of what has been coming out of the mainstream horror side of the industry, while still effectively combining all of its cliches and tropes. Really simple plot, which feels relatively grounded for its premise, although it starts to sort of collapse during the last act. Has a charming lead. I didn’t anticipate watching it, and I also didn’t anticipate liking it, but here I am. It’s not “scary” per se, but I also don’t like judging horror by how much it “scares” me, and more so by how distressing and terrifying the situations and experiences that the characters find themselves into are for them.

I loved Happy Death Day. Such a wacky concept handled in such a wonderful way.

So I saw Hausu tonight and I had such a blast. Such a wacky film and so engaging.

Eighth Grade should be shown in schools

Star Trek (2009)

Pretty good.

Don’t Breathe (2016)

Not really a big fan. Wasted potential, imo. The premise is super cool and the film itsef is pretty damn intense to watch, but at some point it just becomes nearly impossible to suspend your disbelief enough to not be annoyed by all of the logical inconsistencies and dumb decision making. To sell such a simple premise, the film kinda needs to rely on taking at least somewhat of a realistic approach, because otherwise it just... doesn’t work? And then there’s the twist which nearly undoes most of the film’s positives for me. Just... yeah. It’s like one of those films where you recognize the potential, yet spend most of the time rewriting the script in your mind.