Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
why would anybody ever want to watch dubbed films... go with original language and subs in your own language

I watch most films in their original language with subtitles.

Some of the Disney animated films are an exception (for example: Snow White, Mulan, Aladdin, The Black Cauldron, The Sword in the Stone, and Beauty and the Beast I tend to watch in German; and Sleeping Beauty, Robin Hood, and the Jungle Book I prefer to watch in French) but that's it.

Bacon wrote:
July 2nd, 2018, 1:53 pm
Princess Mononoke

This was phenomenal and I don't really like anime.
Well Miyazaki himself doesn't like most anime so it's not that shocking. But yeah, this is his best film that I have seen.

Tragedy Girls (2017)

Dark comedy about two high school girls McKayla and Sadie (played by Alexandra Shipp and Brianna Hildebrand) who want to be serial killers by committing horrible murders and then gain followers on social media by speculating about the murders on their blog.

This gets morbid in a number of places (especially the ending) but that is the intention. Ultimately, the framing is what actually let's you know how the film feels about teenagers and their obsession with Internet fame and social media. The film knows that what these girls are doing is reprehensible but at the same time they're bored, they don't feel like they're special and there actually is nothing to them as people. They will go to any length necessary in order to achieve their shallow, sociopathic goal though. They even manage to capture a real serial killer because they want him to give them advice on how to do this right, even though the murders they commit are messy and occasionally look like accidents so they deliberately want to make them look like murders after the fact. They also mess up on a number of occasions in a variety of ways and hence have to react in the moment in order to a) avoid getting caught or b) make sure everyone knows that what happened was not an accident.

Making satire about the substance-free nature of social media is not new but the film keeps it fresh by playing with genre conventions and the injustice and horror of the implications of the ending is quite astonishing. How one reacts to it probably depends on how much you buy into the premise.

8/10[/b]

Bacon wrote:
July 2nd, 2018, 4:54 pm
AsianVersionOfET wrote:
July 2nd, 2018, 4:33 pm
Are we the same person Bacon...?
I'm not a Trump supporter
Damn Bacon. You one cold sumbitch

AsianVersionOfET wrote:
July 3rd, 2018, 8:33 am
Bacon wrote:
July 2nd, 2018, 4:54 pm
AsianVersionOfET wrote:
July 2nd, 2018, 4:33 pm
Are we the same person Bacon...?
I'm not a Trump supporter
Damn Bacon. You one cold sumbitch

Election (1999)

Matthew Broderick plays Jim McAllister, a teacher who oversees a student president election and convinces a student to oppose the until then sole candidate, Tracy Flick (Reese Witherspoon). She is an overachiever and a perfectionist without any friends and now has to face off against Paul Metzler (Chris Klein), a popular but not very bright football player without much insight or interest in politics.

The question of morals vs ethics, posed at the beginning of the film, becomes increasingly apparent as very relevant, even though the characters may not consciously think about that distinction having any bearing on the way the narrative takes shape.

I generally struggle to think of many good Matthew Broderick performances. This one is an exception because his character seems principled until he makes selfish choices in his personal and professional life that end up hurting people emotionally and the film makes it quite clear that his actions have consequences. Tracy works very hard for her success but she is also completely narcissistic and ruthless and will stop at nothing to win the student president election. Paul is aloof and dumb and knows nothing about campaigning but has a good heart. His lesbian sister Tammy also decides to enter the race and declares right off the bat that she thinks very little of the process or the position she is running for, declaring the entire thing a charade.

The film is quite funny, especially because Reese Witherspoon plays her character in a way that seems like a caricature and is meant to be grating and the film certainly acknowledges her sociopathic tendencies when she tries to step over everyone else to achieve her goals. Matthew Broderick plays life's punching bag well enough: you understand his desire to see what he considers a just outcome to prevail but you also know why to him that entails Tracy losing the election. He has decided she is his nemesis, whereas she does not think much about him at all, which is why his resentment ultimately makes him extremely selfish and unreasonable.

8.5/10

SUBURBICON: Well directed but wut

DARK CITY (Director's Cut): Thrilling, gorgeous and most importantly feels fresh despite so much coming after borrowing from it (and it borrowing from others that came before).

ENEMY: Villeneuve really needs to make a film with Jake again

ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN: SO GOOD, especially in 35mm. And so timely today too, and interesting watching for the first time after seeing The Post. Yoing Redford and Hoffman are awesome.

I took Suburbicon to be a pretty superficial commentary on the misdirection of discrimination and public fixation on the non-normative.

Basically, people get upset about stupid things but ignore more serious issues. But like, that's all I've managed to glean from that film.

I don't think Clooney does subtext very well. And I say that with Good Night and Good Luck being one of my favorite films of all time.

The Human Condition trilogy (1959-1961)
Dir. Masaki Kobayashi

holy fuck that had all the things in it and more

I don't think there's anyone I've seen use a scope frame better than Kobayashi and Miyajima.

Also why does nobody talk about how Nakadai is probably one of the greatest film actors... ever? Cause he kinda is.